BBC news

ZACNEMMA

Congrats to bbc news this morning. They were doing a report on type 2 diabetes and gastric surgery - talking about the cost to the NHS. Usually I find that in those reports it is just called diabetes and they do not distinguish between the 2. However today they got it correct.

Emma

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Yes, they got that right - but from John Humphrys I got the impression of the usual 'fat people get Type 2 diabetes - it's their fault'! :roll: .

I'm looking forward to the diabetes documentary that's supposed to be in the offing - 'Disgusted of Wensleydale' is already sharpening her quill! :lol:

Viv 8)

mandydowns

Hi

Two things that have worried me about this report are:

1. 'Fat' people do not give themselves diabetes - in fact, it could be argued that this is sometimes a symptom of the illness.

2. It has been implied that by having gastric surgery diabetes can be cured. This is really worrying - a work colleague rushed in this morning and was excited that there is now a cure for diabetes with an operation.

Whilst the general coverage was good there is still definate room for improvement :roll:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Very rare for the BBC to get anything right regarding diabetes, medical dramas are farcical and so inaccurate.

Nigel

TigerBao

noblehead said:
Very rare for the BBC to get anything right.

Nigel

I agree xD

A friend sent me that story asking if it seemed obvious to me. Given that obesity and diabetes is related it didn't exactly shock me to read the story. But it didn't seem really worth mentioning to me. Still, any coverage is good coverage I guess as far as diabetes is concerned.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
mandydowns said:
Hi

Two things that have worried me about this report are:

1. 'Fat' people do not give themselves diabetes - in fact, it could be argued that this is sometimes a symptom of the illness.

2. It has been implied that by having gastric surgery diabetes can be cured. This is really worrying - a work colleague rushed in this morning and was excited that there is now a cure for diabetes with an operation.

Whilst the general coverage was good there is still definate room for improvement :roll:

I heard that item too, and shouted at the radio! Annoyed by their (and Radio 2 lunchtime discussion) assumption that only lazy people who overeat get fat - what about people on constant steroids for life-threatening asthma etc? Also I wonder how many of those apparently 'cured' of diabetes by gastric surgery will redevelop it later.

Cowboyjim

The BBC has long since gone down the pan as regards credibility IMHO.
But this is sooooooooooooooo serious !
But don't get me started on the BBC and its science coverage! 8)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
John Humphrys goes all jokey and patronising the minute science occurs - it's his way of covering his abysmal ignorance! No woner my BP goes up in the morning!

Viv 8)

Cowboyjim

WTG Viv!
It's what you get when you recruit from the Guardian readership. 8)
It gets me riled up too. They almost revel in their ignorance. It is inexcusable. But at epidemic proportions. [sorry, maybe there was a pun in there]
Notice too in sports programmes how the interviewer ALWAYS asks how they feel? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!
And these so-called factual content progs... eye candy pseudo-religious tosh I reckon.
They are so scared folks will switch over... or maybe they have their eye on flogging it to the yanks. Notice Horizon etc are all fifty minutes long to fit in the ads.
That prog they have on Monday evenings is just about tolerable... if you like the Blue Peter formula.
Like the NHS the BBC has become so patronising it makes me scream.
Most progs are rubbish anyway... just some history doc dressed up or pseudo-religion: why are we here, what does it all mean, how did the universe start, yawn.
Right, back to work, moan mode off. 8)

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
Cowboyjim said:
WTG Viv!

Most progs are rubbish anyway... just some history doc dressed up or pseudo-religion: why are we here, what does it all mean, how did the universe start, yawn.
8)

The programmes I don't like are the 'macho' men kicking or carrying a bag of wind around a football/rugby pitch. It should only be allowed on one channel at a time :lol:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Me too, Ailz! Where's that dedicated sports channel?

Viv 8)