1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

BBC Story about Low Carb Dieting

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by bowell, Jul 7, 2011.

1. bowell

bowell · Well-Known Member

2. louiseb

louiseb · Well-Known Member

thanks for the link I watched the first 2 parts, hope to find time to watch the rest tomorrow.

3. Sue o2

Sue o2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for the links, very interesting

Sue

4. canuck1950

canuck1950 · Active Member

Thanks for posting the links. I had not seen this before although I know some of the people involved quite well. I think the conclusion, that it is increased protein that reduces hunger and therefore calorie intake, is misguided. The Atkins diet is not particularly high in protein. I think it is more likely that the significant reduction in carbohydrates corrects a dysfunction in appetite signalling involving both insulin and leptin. Studies by Volek et al have shown how dramatically the correction in insulin and leptin resistance is on a very low carb diet while work by Robert Lustig elucidates the mechanism whereby high insulin interferes with leptin signalling which leads to over-eating and reduced energy expenditure. We are starting a trial soon to test whether correction of this through low-carb dieting will generate a spontaneous increase in activity. Stay tuned.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook