Bean thread noodles

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you like asian style dishes, there is a type of noodle made from broad beans.

Bean thread noodles are low GI, only 26 and tasty. They come in various thicknesses. Easy to make and ideal for a TV supper:

20120109-11x0.jpg

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cool, another option. These are much cheaper than what I've been using. Do they have the dreaded "laxative effect"?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not that I have noticed. They are made from beans and contain oligosaccharides which are broken down by bacteria. Unlike cellulose based carbs which are not broken down at all and which can have a laxative effect, beans don't. However, because they are broken down by bacteria, they can cause wind, but it is only mild.

They do absorb the taste of a sauce well. If you can eat beans and lentils etc, you should be OK with them.

Many asian and chinese foodstores sell stuff at a fraction of the prices in supermarkets.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The flatulence that comes from beans is because of the bacteria in your gut (intestinal flora).

The more beans you eat, the more your gut bacteria adjust (or repopulate, or pack up their little suitcases and vacate by the nearest exit, leaving vacant real estate for bean loving bacteria who then move in...), and the less you flatuate.

And yes, flatuate is a real word that I just made up.

Reactions: 2 people