BEATING A FOOD ADDICTION

CRPetersen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was morbidly obese for most of 30 years and obese most of my life. I was embarrassed and hated this about myself. I had diabetes (click here for diabetes information and support on facebook) and other health problems and a fear of Alzheimer’s, which runs in my family and is often associated with both obesity and diabetes. I was motivated to change but didn’t have the right habits and tools to make it happen. (Click here to see a short video: My Weight Loss: The "not so" Incredible Shrinking Man)

For years I had studied and prayed, and tried various things but only seemed to get worse. One particular health condition made it worse because every time I tried to diet my brain would seem to go into a fog and I had difficulty concentrating. After much research, practice, and prayer, I found a solution and lost 115 lbs over about a year’s time. I had been able to keep the weight off, within a few pounds for over three years. A few months ago I started teaching a diabetes prevention class and decided to lose just a little more with the class. With the additional weight loss I have lost a total of 118 lbs and weigh less than I did in high school.

Any addiction can be very difficult to overcome; but there are unique obstacles and challenges with a food addiction. With almost any other addictions it is possible to leave the addictive substance or behavior behind; but for a food addiction you still must eat or consume calories in some way, in order to stay alive.

For me and perhaps many of you reading this, the problem is not, never was motivation. I was motivated. What I lacked was the knowledge, skills, tools, and habits to make the required changes.
If interested in reading the rest, click here: http://www.healthnutritionexercise.net/beating-a-food-addiction.html

Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I was morbidly obese for most of 30 years and obese most of my life. I was embarrassed and hated this about myself. I had diabetes (click here for diabetes information and support on facebook) and other health problems and a fear of Alzheimer’s, which runs in my family and is often associated with both obesity and diabetes. I was motivated to change but didn’t have the right habits and tools to make it happen. (Click here to see a short video: My Weight Loss: The "not so" Incredible Shrinking Man)

For years I had studied and prayed, and tried various things but only seemed to get worse. One particular health condition made it worse because every time I tried to diet my brain would seem to go into a fog and I had difficulty concentrating. After much research, practice, and prayer, I found a solution and lost 115 lbs over about a year’s time. I had been able to keep the weight off, within a few pounds for over three years. A few months ago I started teaching a diabetes prevention class and decided to lose just a little more with the class. With the additional weight loss I have lost a total of 118 lbs and weigh less than I did in high school.

Any addiction can be very difficult to overcome; but there are unique obstacles and challenges with a food addiction. With almost any other addictions it is possible to leave the addictive substance or behavior behind; but for a food addiction you still must eat or consume calories in some way, in order to stay alive.

For me and perhaps many of you reading this, the problem is not, never was motivation. I was motivated. What I lacked was the knowledge, skills, tools, and habits to make the required changes.
If interested in reading the rest, click here: http://www.healthnutritionexercise.net/beating-a-food-addiction.html

I'm finding your contributions very interesting and helpful to read, thank you. I have had a lifelong difficulty with binge/overeating, and although I lost a considerable amount of weight (nearly 85lbs), I have recently put back on about 15lbs, not much in the scheme of things, but enough to trigger the fear of loss of control. I am tackling it, but it is difficult of course, and input from those who understand it's not just about willpower, but much more, is very welcome.

CRPetersen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm finding your contributions very interesting and helpful to read, thank you. I have had a lifelong difficulty with binge/overeating, and although I lost a considerable amount of weight (nearly 85lbs), I have recently put back on about 15lbs, not much in the scheme of things, but enough to trigger the fear of loss of control. I am tackling it, but it is difficult of course, and input from those who understand it's not just about willpower, but much more, is very welcome.
Oh, willpower is just one little part of the puzzle. There is another article on the same site called Change: Habits and Cues. You might find that helpful.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Congratulations on turning your life around and achieving such great results. Also on your website and the information you provide