Bedtime high readings

Fruithayes

Hi everyone, 1st time poster here.

I'm a type 1 pumper (pumping Novorapid). I was diagnosed 8 years ago, and have been on the pump for the last 18 months. I was put on the pump in the first place to try and help with my overnight highs, and for the first month it worked perfectly. My overnight readings remained constant and I had the best months sleep since being diagnosed.

Since that first month has passed, I've struggled ever since and just can't get back to that place. My morning readings are always between 13 - 15, and I am soooo tired! I feel as though I've tried everything; I've set basal rates to alter at 4am, I've tried going without an evening meal, I've tried eating peanut butter before bed and numerous other wacky ideas!

I now eat an evening meal around 6.30 - 7, and go to bed at around 10-10.30. I generally eat meals for which I've some certainty over the carb content, and am usually happy with my BG levels at around 9.30. I've started to notice that in actual fact, the rise seems to start at around bedtime; my readings can go from 7-8 to 15-17 in the space of an hour, and I can't figure out why?

I feel completely obsessed with this, and am starting to feel completely helpless. Does anyone else have such problems, or any advice please?

jopar

It sounds very much as you need to do a proper fasting tests.. To see if your basal is correctly set..

I wouldn't do a 24 hour fasting test, but block them off, to morning, afternoon/early evening and evening/overnight..

You need to ensure that no bolus insulin or any food is impacting on your blood glucose, so the meal before you start your fast ensure that it's not high fat content, high protein content etc..

Morning fast test is pretty easy, you avoid breakfast.. Afternoon/evening/night is harder as you need to ensure that everything is out of the system from food and bolus insulin..

What you do is test, every hour (yes even overnight) so you can see what's going on with your basal, you need to remember to have plenty of hypo supplies just in case, plus abort the fasting test if your levels become hypo or too high so you can correct...

If you find that fasting is difficult, then I suggest munching on Sugar free jelly is a good idea, don't be tempted to eat protein as this will impact on your readings..

Another thing, when fast testing don't do strenuous exercise, and I would also avoid this before hand as well, due to sometimes exercise routines can actually impact on our control several hours after we've done it..

Once you've collected the data, then you can determine whether in fact it is a Basal setting issue or perhaps other issues such as carb/insulin ratio's being out etc..

I would also suggest if you haven't already got it, invest in 'Pumping Insulin' by John Walsh, this is the bible on insulin pump therapy

Fruithayes

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I took your advice yesterday and fasted for the afternoon/evening. I was surprised to learn that the problem may have been a low basal rate. I plan to adjust my rate today and see what happens!

Thanks again.

anne_hogg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, 1st time poster here.

I'm a type 1 pumper (pumping Novorapid). I was diagnosed 8 years ago, and have been on the pump for the last 18 months. I was put on the pump in the first place to try and help with my overnight highs, and for the first month it worked perfectly. My overnight readings remained constant and I had the best months sleep since being diagnosed.

Since that first month has passed, I've struggled ever since and just can't get back to that place. My morning readings are always between 13 - 15, and I am soooo tired! I feel as though I've tried everything; I've set basal rates to alter at 4am, I've tried going without an evening meal, I've tried eating peanut butter before bed and numerous other wacky ideas!

I now eat an evening meal around 6.30 - 7, and go to bed at around 10-10.30. I generally eat meals for which I've some certainty over the carb content, and am usually happy with my BG levels at around 9.30. I've started to notice that in actual fact, the rise seems to start at around bedtime; my readings can go from 7-8 to 15-17 in the space of an hour, and I can't figure out why?

I feel completely obsessed with this, and am starting to feel completely helpless. Does anyone else have such problems, or any advice please?

Recently with the short days I have found that I sit in front of a computer or tv screen in the evenings I am probably eating more fatty foods and I am exercising much less during the day if it rains then probably not at all
Might any of these factors be relevant to you

Last edited by a moderator:

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently with the short days I have found that I sit in front of a computer or tv screen in the evenings I am probably eating more fatty foods and I am exercising much less during the day if it rains then probably not at all
Might any of these factors be relevant to you
Hi anne and welcome to the forum. I am just pointing out that the original post was over 8 years ago so you may not get a reply.:)

Canny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just read this string and then seen last comment. I agree that keeping post this old seem to long. It’s one of the reasons I don’t use the site as much.
I believe it’s a good site but to many old messages. Tend to read Face book support groups more as its seems more relevant and up to date.