Been offered a pump

avi

Dislikes
people who act like they are the diabetic police!!!
Hi

I've been having problems with very varying BG readings for a while now, even though my last Hba1c was 6.1, it doesn't reflect what goes on on a daily basis. I am at present on Lantus and Novo rapid, I have tried everything I can think off to try and achieve more stable bg, even tried animal insulin for a while, to no avail and reluctantly had to go back to Lantus.

I saw my consultant today who says that I have to try and accept that this is where my diabetes is at or that I might consider trying an insulin pump, I said I would have to think about it, as to be quite honest I am sick and tired of diabetes at the moment and feeling quite down about it all. Not sure how insulin pumps work either. I find my Bg varies with my monthly cycle and no two months are consistent either, so how would this work. Feeling just a bit overwhelmed by it all.

Avi

johnny37

Hi Avi,

What sort of readings are your getting? hba 6.1 seems exeptionally good to me. Are you getting lots of hypos, which would be one reason for offering you a pump. My swings were really annoying, anything from 1.8 to 18+ while managing to achieve hba 7.1. Had a really nasty hypo about 18 mths ago resulting in fitting. My PCT was very slow to take them on. I only started 2 days ago so i'm no expert. I have to say there's a lot of tweaking to do but I'm confident it will get better. My initial feeling is that it is easier than taking up to 6 or 8 injections a day including corrections. Pressing a few buttons does not seem to upset others either like injecting does. You will still need to adjust the pump for your monthlies, its not automatic , and take many blood tests, unless you can get a continuous blood monitor (CBGM) which is unlikely due to running costs, unless you have lost all warning symptons.

avi

Dislikes
Hi

Yup I'm either hypo or high, had my first bad hypo on Sunday 1.5 next morning they were 20.5, I am sick of feeling not in control, I do my best but its a rare day that I have stable BG. I am tired all of the time as well. My consultant thinks my hba1c is great and I shouldn't get complications, but as I said before it doesn't reflect what happens daily hence the offer of the pump. Been doing a bit of reading and the more I read the more attractive it seems, I know it will be a lot of hard work but this already is. To answer previous questions, the animal insulin wasn't giving me 24 hour coverage and I ended up trying three injections a day to try and get the cover. I still had the swing on this as well.

Thanks again

Avi

purple1505

Hi,
go for the pump! I've used mine for 7 months and will never ever go back to injections! Why? because I've always suffered with unstable diabetes and regardless of any attempts made to get BG levels and Ha1c's to an acceptable level were dashed. I was even blamed for not following the rules. Since having the pump everthing is how it should be and if not then it is my fault for not following the rules!
I originally was on 4 injections a day, 3 of humalog and 1 of lantus. b/breakfast I would have to inject 14 units, b/lunch = 5 units , b/evening meal 16 units and b/bed 24units of the lantus. Now with my pump I read how many carbs I'm eating for each meal and setting that into the pumps works. for each meal I never ever have anymore than 10 units, this of course is to how many carbs I'm to eat. there are times when I only have 3 units! So go with the pump!

avi

Dislikes
Hi

Spoke to a diabetic nurse yesterday who is going to get the insulin pump diabetic nurse to phone me next week (shes on hols at the mo) and hopefully I'll get a bit more info then.

Avi