Benefit of metformin when on basal/bolus insulin

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I wondered if there is much benefit of being on metformin if already on basal/bolus insulin.

When initially diagnosed as diabetic I was put on metformin which was OK but shortly after I started to get there usual bad side effects of stomach problems etc.

Since then I was put on basal insulin and now I am on basal and bolus insulin. When I went on the bolus insulin I took myself off the metformin as I couldn’t deal with feeling sick anymore!

As my levels have been quite bad the past few days I decided to go very low carb and try the metformin again.

My levels have been good (unsure if due to the low carb or metformin) but I have had a very upset belly and constantly feeling sick. I assume this is the metformin.

I’m not sure how much longer I can cope with the side effects so I wondered if taking the metformin can have that many benefits for blood glucose if you are already on basal and bolus insulin.

D

Deleted Account

I will tag @Rachox
She does not take insulin and has greatly improved her Hb1AC but, I think (forgive me if I am wrong), she has chosen to remain on metformin due to its additional benefits.
There are also some people with type 1 who take metformin ... but I can't remember who - they may come along later.

Reactions: SB.25

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @helensaramay .
Hi SB.25, I don’t know what type of diabetes you have but I’m Type 2 so I’m only talking from a Type 2’s perspective. I don’t take insulin either. I was diagnosed two years ago and immediately started Metformin and low carb eating. As you can see from my signature I have had non diabetic HbA1cs for a long time now. I did try a three month trail of a smaller dose last autumn but my weight loss stalled. Metformin helps with weight loss so with my GP’s consent I went back up to my original dose. There are other benefits to taking Metformin, found here:
https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2001/9/report_metformin/Page-01
I will continue at my current dose til I have achieved my ideal weight then aim to reduce the dose again then. However these decisions are much easier for me as I get no side effects. Hope that helps.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the tag @helensaramay .
Hi SB.25, I don’t know what type of diabetes you have but I’m Type 2 so I’m only talking from a Type 2’s perspective. I don’t take insulin either. I was diagnosed two years ago and immediately started Metformin and low carb eating. As you can see from my signature I have had non diabetic HbA1cs for a long time now. I did try a three month trail of a smaller dose last autumn but my weight loss stalled. Metformin helps with weight loss so with my GP’s consent I went back up to my original dose. There are other benefits to taking Metformin, found here:
https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2001/9/report_metformin/Page-01
I will continue at my current dose til I have achieved my ideal weight then aim to reduce the dose again then. However these decisions are much easier for me as I get no side effects. Hope that helps.
Thank you.

I still do not have a ‘type’ but I am treated as T1 as they have established from my c-peptide test that I produce very little of my own insulin and at the time my glucose was quite high (13.5). So there is the potential I am MODY/T1 in honeymoon.

I’m just not sure if I can handle the side effects much more. However the weight loss is very nice lol! 3lbs in 4 days!

I’m just unsure if it really benefits someone who is already on both types of insulin.

M

Member496333

Restriction of carbohydrate will be a far more powerful tool than the Metformin, so if you do reach breaking point and decide to quit it then it probably won’t have a very large negative impact if you are already low-carbing.

As always when dealing with food and medication changes, please be super vigilant with regards to the insulin dosing.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Restriction of carbohydrate will be a far more powerful tool than the Metformin, so if you do reach breaking point and decide to quit it then it probably won’t have a very large negative impact if you are already low-carbing.

As always when dealing with food and medication changes, please be super vigilant with regards to the insulin dosing.
Thanks, I am trying to be careful with the insulin dosage. I’m just very frustrated as no matter what I do my numbers VERY rarely go below 8 (and that’s on a good day!).

I have found the past few days even when not eating carbs I go up by 2, 2 hours after eating. For instance for lunch I had some plain chicken and cheese and went to 9.7 2 hours later (I started at 6.7). There were no carbs in that meal and I had a half hour walk before eating.....

Very frustrating!