Benefit Sanctions

Medvejonok+50

I was recently sanctioned for my JSA for one month because they didn't believe my very reasonable explanation for non attendance of a meeting,this was diarrohea & nausea due to my Metformin,any ideas on what else I can do apart from appeal this? :evil:

hotblack desiato

Type of diabetes
Type 2
letter from the doctor re the side effects possible with metformin , definitely appeal , did you call them in plenty of time say the day before to change your date ? ,they are just wee robots applying rules of a draconian system , good luck , HBD

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
They should be given the medication advisory slip that comes in the metformin pack!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear about your problem and I do understand what you wrote but recently the word "sanction" caused me an embarrassment.

A friend told me his benefits had been sanctioned and I congratulated him. He was not happy.

Have you ever Googled "define sanction" because it seems to have two exactly opposite meanings. It is typical of the benefit people to confuse us with language.

sw11bloke

You must have missed a number of sign ons for them to have stopped your JSA for a month. I beleve they only do this if you miss 3 sign ons?
If you only missed the one, then I believe you should appeal.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You should be able to complain informally by talking to a manager at the relevant local office. Ensure you show them your medication advisory notes etc; They have power to reverse or adjust your Benefit Changes. (also take notes and names if you do have a local meeting)
best of luck,
Roy :)

Reactions: 2 people

lea27xxx

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the same thing happened to us very recently,thy.left my bf wiv no money for even food and hes a type 1 diabetic and quite poorly atm he applied for hardship but taking ages to make a decision its ridiculous,hes signin off anyway nxt monday as hes gt a med certificate and goin on esa

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know this isn't the way you'd like to deal with a problem of sanctions causing loss of benefit, but I know from volunteering at a Food Bank, that benefit problems are one of the most common reasons for people needing to get help from a Food Bank. You do need to get a ticket from a refering agency, such as a Job Centre, CAB, some churches etc. The aim is to give enough food for everyone in your household for 3 days. Not a long term solution, but can make a difference. Depending on what's in the store, lower carbohydrate food items will be given, plus pet food (if you have a cat or dog), toilet rolls, toiletries etc.

KellyBu22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Mushrooms
Coffee
Ignorance
Racism
Bullying (any form)
I was recently sanctioned for my JSA for one month because they didn't believe my very reasonable explanation for non attendance of a meeting,this was diarrohea & nausea due to my Metformin,any ideas on what else I can do apart from appeal this? :evil:
I am assuming by meeting that you are in the work programme so it's that appointment that you have missed and not a signing on appointment? If that's correct, then yes they can sanction you for not attending even one appointment. If you called and stated that you were poorly they should have told this to the job centre and therefore you should only have been sanctioned if you have missed previous appointments also. They don't normally sanction if you have contacted them in advance as it's a load of paperwork for something that normally gets rejected by the job centre sanctioning office as reasonable. So appeal and check that they have logged that you did contact in advance. Thanks.