Benfotiamine and Alpha Lipoic Acid

Alison556

I just wanted to check if it's OK to take these two supplements together?

I got my gran some ALA today (she hasn't started it yet) and thought I'd check before I order the Benf.

What doses are normal? The ALA is 200mg one capsule per day and I've noticed that the Benfotiamine comes in several strength, 80mg and 150mg appearing to be the most common - which would be the best strength to get?

Also, when would be the best time of day to take them? My gran takes Diamicron MR first thing in the morning, but it's a slow release tablet, so she doesn't take anything the rest of the day - it tends to be afternoon that her sugars get a bit irregular.

Many thanks in advance

Alison

Alison556

That's brilliant thank you. Wasn't too sure if they could be combined or not.

I got a "standard" dose from the health shop of the ALA (200mg) and the Benfotiamine seems to come in 2 dose of 80mg or 150mg and it looks like the 80mg is take two a day, so I'll get the 150mg and get her to take one a day for starters.

Fingers crossed it helps her pains.

Alison556

How long have you been taking it for?

My gran only started taking it on Friday and so far, she's felt quite sick and has said that she's got terrible pins and needles in her arm - don't know if it's the ALA or just coincidence.

sixfoot

ALA lipoic Acid seems to have most benefit for T2`s because of the Insulin resistance factor. i take 150mg because still trying it and have seen my BS drop to near normal readings. I am lo carb and on Byetta.

Dave P