Benfotiamine

Soundgen

I have recently been diagonised as having type 2 Diabetes and since diagnosis have been taking Benfotiamine ( Vitamin B1 in fat soluble type ) , it seems to be very effective at reducing blood sugar levels ! After consuming high GI index meals my blood sugar can be as low as 4.8 ! with Benfotamine , without Benfotiamine for one day it's been up to 10.1 , It has also started reducing my pins and needles

I am continuing to "experiment" with Benfotiamine and have started a blog detailing my sugar levels , you can read this if you want at http://diabetictype2me.blogspot.com/

Look forward to comments , I am aslo exploring B12 as Methy cobalamine to get the pins and needles even better

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Soundgem,
Welcome onboard, I've never really checked Benfotamine out, but after a quick google it looks to have a beneficial effects, no doubt someone on the forum will have more info.

Graham

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Thanks Ken,
I've been looking at the same links :D

Cheers
Graham

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Soundgen,

I noticed the same thing with benfotiamine. It gave me hypos (I'm type 1) even at a relatively low dose (20mg per day).

You might also what to check out lycopene for some similar results; although, I'd be careful if you're using it with meds/insulin.

Regards,
timo.

Soundgen

I retested my blood sugar level after starting benfotiamine again and it was lower than without at 7.2 .

It's very interesting that vitamin B 1 is intrinsically involved in stopping Diabetic complications http://tinyurl.com/mskdb7
mild thiamine deficiency inhibits a metabolic pathway which reduces the activity of transketolase the above link is only an abstract , taking ordinary Vitamin B1 doesn't seem to help benfotiamine is readily taken up through the gut and thus allows this activity to return to normal .

Also vitamin B1 is a key vitamin in the process in the methylation process , and vitamin B12 is used by the body as methylcobalamin not as the water soluble B12 normally taken , B12 is also needed for methylation , so a shortage of B1 can interfere with methylation which stops the body producing enough methylB1 , B1 and Methyl B12 are very important in nerve function as they are involved in construction of the myelin sheath , lack of B1 and B12 results in the neuropathy of pins and needles etc

Since I have been taking Benfotamine and MethyB1 all of my pins and needles have decreased significantly !

Taking Benfotiamine would make any Insulin much more effective which is presumably why someone said it gave them hypos , presumably the answer would be to lower the insulin doses ? If taking Benfotaimine

It seems to me that the long term benefits of these two vitamins should be noted by all diabetics

iHs

Hi

I don't take benfotiamine because of the expense, but I do take 100mg thiamine tablet every day. I realise that it is only active for about 5hrs and is flushed out through urine so I break the tablet in half and take it in the morning and evening. I also now take one Berocca tablet as well which includes most of the B vitamins just to balance things up.

What can I say about thiamine. My partner's builder friend is type 2 using metformin 3 times a day plus diet and after 2 years went for yearly eye scan and was told that he had background retinopathy in both eyes. Unfortunately he doesn't really take care of himself diet wise. I started him off on 100mg thiamine every day and within a year his next yearly eye scan came back nothing wrong - all clear. So yes, there's a lot to be said for vitamin B1.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Soundgen

Those google scholar links to Benfotamine are amazing !

My two latest blood sugars tested as before 2 hours after the same breakfast were 4.1 on Saturday and 3.6 today !

i'm currently taking 250mg of benfotiamine 4 times a day and intend to reduce it to 120mg and then 80mg and see if the sugar levels stay comparable

howie

Benfotiamine?

hi all,

i've been reading up on diabetics having a thiamine deficiency and so thought about starting on some Benfotiamine in the hope to help prevent future complications. but have since came across this article saying its not actually lipid soluble.

http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.com/ne ... news.shtml

anyone got any unbiased information?

thanks,
howie

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Benfotiamine?

Hi Howie.

There is already a Topic about this subject here. I have merged your post into the previous one.

Here is a link to a search of this site which I did for Benfotiamine.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&keywords=benfotiamine

There are other related topics.

Ken.

goji

I am taking 150mg of Benfotiamine at the moment to ward off potential complications. I started taking 450mg but I got really bad pins and needles in my feet and hands so I cut the dose down. It's hard to know if it actually has any effect as I didn't have peripheral neuropathy to begin with.

I would be interested in getting my thiamine levels tested to see if I actually do have a deficiency.

What I read is that normal thiamine tests weren't showing up the problems in diabetics but that the researchers at Warwick uni found that by doing a special test, they uncovered that diabetics (type 1 and 2) were something like 75% deficient in thiamine compared to non-diabetics. Apparently we pee it out really quickly.

I tried emailing the lead researcher to ask where you can get the test done but he hasn't bothered to reply.

If anyone ever finds out about the test then please post a link.

Soundgen

Benfotiamine does work and is proving good at keeping my blood sugar low

My latest weeks blood sugars tested as before 2 hours after the same breakfast were 5.6 , 5.2, 7.4 , 6.7, 5.6 , 4.7 and today 5.2

I reduced my benfotiamine from 4 x 250 mg to 3 x 250 mg , and still get low levels , AND my neuropathy has nearly gone ( 5 weeks after GP said I needed surgery ! )

from tomorrow I am reducing the Benfotamine to 4 x 120mg a day for a couple of week and then 3 x 120 mg for a further time

Soundgen

"I started taking 450mg but I got really bad pins and needles in my feet and hands so I cut the dose down. It's hard to know if it actually has any effect as I didn't have peripheral neuropathy to begin with."

I can't see how a vitamin which is flushed out of your body within 24 hours can be causing the pins and needles , the neuropathy is cause by a breakdown in the myelin sheath , when I first started taking Benfotaimine , the P&Ns in my arm decreased slightly in 24 hours ! BUT the Neuropathy in my right foot increased to start with but has progressively moved towards the big toe , I put this down to gradual repair of the nerves at the nearest point first , the P&Ns in my toe were hidden by more damage nearer the main nerve , perhaps taking some Benfoatimen has started a " repair " which means you can now feel the damage which has taken place ,

It is also a good idea to take Methyl B12 ( methycobalamine ) this is the type of B12 used by the body and also repairs Myelin sheath , ordinary B12 cannot be used by yhe body without an adequate supply of B1 to act in the methylation process and turn B12 to methyl B12 .

Soundgen

Since I have had Type 2 diabetes I have spent many hours trawling the Internet to find out what it's all about .

Insulin isn't the only show in town when you look at Glucose elimination from the blood , as well as Insulin which as far as I can work out transports glucose around the body and takes any excess to muscles and liver to be converted into Glycogen which is stored until needed .

The second mechanism is exercise , which "burns" glucose to produce the energy to keep us going . which is why going for a jog is good for diabetics .

The third mechanism , which when I take Benfotamine seems to account for half of my blood glucose sugar , is called the " pentose phosphate Pathway " it doesn't seem to register on GPs Radar , BUT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT ! .

The " pentose phosphate Pathway " cannot proceed without Vitamin B1 to catalyse it .This process the " pentose phosphate Pathway " is VITAL as it produces NADPH

One of the uses of NADPH in the cell along with other compounds called catalase and superoxide dismutase is to prevent oxidative stress. It reduces glutathione via glutathione reductase, which converts reactive H2O2 into H2O by glutathione peroxidase. If absent, more H2O2 would be converted to hydroxyl free radicals by Fenton chemistry, which can attack the cell. When it attacks the cell it trashes it causing Neoropathy , retinopathy and nephropathy !

Remember NADPH can't be produced without Vitamin B1 , if you have a deficiency of BI this seems to be the first process to shut down , It would seem that diabetics type 1 and type 2 have a deficiency of B1 . this deficiency is caused by either an inability to absorb normal B1 or rapid flushing of B1 from diabetic people

It seems to me that this could be the cause of type 2 diabetes , imagine the scenario as this , you can't absorb B1 or it disappears rapidly from your body , the " pentose phosphate Pathway " shuts down , this leads to an excess of blood glucose , enter Insulin , insulin production is ramped up to take care of the excess glucose , BUT continually ramping up insulin levels leads to failure of insulin production or failure of the body to recognise the insulin .

THERE IS ALSO A DOUBLE WHAMMY HERE , adequate supply of B1 is necessary to convert Vitamin B12 as it's absorbed by the body into methyl B12 which is the form in which it is used by the body , so what ? B12 is an integral part of a good myelin sheath on nerves ! not enough B1 which builds nerves leads to a B12 deficiency which also builds nerves , result neuropathy !

If you can absorb ordinary B12 but you have Neuropathy , stop caffeine and alcohol as they stop it being absorbed and take a high vitamin B supplement which should help , if you can't absorb B1 take Benfotiamine and also initially Methyl B12

Also remember benfotiamine will reduce your blood sugar naturally , so you may need to lower your insulin intake or if you are on the dreaded metformin , consider stopping it while you trial Benfotaimine

howie

hey,

found this link too. i'm not against the idea of a thiamine deficiency in diabetics but i'm doubting the capacity of benfotiamine to make up for it. i'm just worried that it's not as effective as they advertise as i can't find any trials in humans. apparently in the lab rat trials the benfotiamine wasn't received orally or something it was under some 'special conditions'.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKL1148 ... dChannel=0

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This sounds like it's worth a punt - I've just order 120x250mg I'll report back when I can.

Soundgen

Re: Benfotiamine
Sent: Today, 12:42 pm
To: Soundgen

Hi Soundgen,
I've been reading your thread on Benfotiamine with great interest. Can you give me any information on the availability of Benfotiamine in the UK?

Many Thanks,
-Pat.

hi there , the first lot of Benfotaimine I bought was online, I also bought My methylB12 from them as well . I haven't been able to find any shops to buy it from

I have just bought some more benfotiamine , 80mg and 120 mg capsules this time to see if the lower dose still works , this time I bought from the USA online it was much cheaper and arrived in 3 days by DHL.

hope this helps
Regards Mike

Soundgen

"Re: Benfotiamine
by howie on Today, 10:00 am

hey,

found this link too. i'm not against the idea of a thiamine deficiency in diabetics but i'm doubting the capacity of benfotiamine to make up for it. i'm just worried that it's not as effective as they advertise as i can't find any trials in humans. apparently in the lab rat trials the benfotiamine wasn't received orally or something it was under some 'special conditions'.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKL1148 ... dChannel=0 "

All I can say is it's working for me , it's brought my blood sugar levels back to " non diabetic " and together with methylB12 is relieving my severe neuropathy ! People who have an acute B1 shortage suffer from beri beri , which often proves fatal, injection of B1 makes them significantly better in hours and the improvement is described as miraculous , when I started taking benfotiamine I felt an improvement in neuropathy within 24 hours , if you see my earlier posts , when I stop Befotiamine my blood sugar levels rise dramatically