Best flaxseed ?

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bought Prewetts organic premium ground flaxseed 175g for 2.14 from Morrisons some weeks ago and have nearly run out. mysupermarket.co.uk is showing all supermarkets as out of stock or unavailable so I need an alternative.

I've found these - can anyone recommend any please ?

Granovita Linusit Vitality Assured organic milled flaxseed 300g
4.49 Holland and Barrett

Linwoods milled organic flaxseed 200g
2.50 ASDA 3.49 Ocado

Linwoods milled organic flaxseed 425g
5.50 Sainsbury's 5.75 Waitrose 5.79 Ocado 5.80 Tesco 5.99 Holland and Barrett

Linwoods milled organic flax, sunflower and pumpkin seeds 200g
£3 ASDA 3.39 Holland and Barrett

Linwoods milled organic flax, sunflower and pumpkin seeds 425g
6.49 Holland and Barrett

Neal's Yard Wholefoods organic golden linseed 250g - is this the same ? (came up on Search)
1.99 Holland and Barrett

Virginia Harvest cold-milled organic flaxseed 175g
2.00 (offer) Ocado 2.50 Sainsbury's

According to their websites nowt organic for Boots or Superdrug, surprisingly.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bump.
I have a 425g pack of Linwoods milled organic flax from my local health food shop (not a chain) and the price label has fallen off! I have always found Linwoods flax, chia etc to be good stuff.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy Linwoods Milled flaxseed from my local supermarket. It works wonders.
No idea what it costs.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy whole flaxseed and mill it myself (you can use a good blender or a coffee grinder).

IMHO it is far more important to have freshly ground, than to have organic, because flaxseeds go off very quickly once ground, and keep much better when whole.

Not much point in spending on premium organic, if they are no longer nutritious by the time they are used - although they keep much longer if stored in the freezer, and brought out in small batches.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it very satisfying grinding my own, as it allows me to choose how fine or coarse I want it, the only downside is having to wash up the grinder bowl and blade, I guess I could hire a kitchen maid to do it for me.

Reactions: 9 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
While I take on board the suggestion about grinding myself, kept in the bag, within a Le Parfait jar in the larder, I haven't had any probs touch wood.

Roundup (glyphosate), is used on flax crops to desiccate prior to harvest and I would rather buy smaller quantities and keep in the freezer than risk a carcinogen by eating conventional food.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a old fashioned Kilner jar for mine, was one of my grans, a case of its been a good broom only had 4 handles and 6 heads in the past ten years.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
IMHO it is far more important to have freshly ground, than to have organic, because flaxseeds go off very quickly once ground, and keep much better when whole.
Oops, sorry, I have whole seed for that very reason and grind it to make an almond/linseed loaf. Senior moment there. The chia is milled though.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While I take on board the suggestion about grinding myself, kept in the bag, within a Le Parfait jar in the larder, I haven't had any probs touch wood.

Roundup (glyphosate), is used on flax crops to desiccate prior to harvest and I would rather buy smaller quantities and keep in the freezer than risk a carcinogen by eating conventional food.

If you're worried about potential carcinogens on non-organic food, aren't you concerned about the hundreds of carcinogens in exhaust fumes from the delivery vans? Serious question.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're worried about potential carcinogens on non-organic food, aren't you concerned about the hundreds of carcinogens in exhaust fumes from the delivery vans? Serious question.

I'm sure Fortnum's run an electric delivery van,

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops, sorry, I have whole seed for that very reason and grind it to make an almond/linseed loaf. Senior moment there. The chia is milled though.

Its the smell, isnt it?
Always a give away.
Although it can be a subtle change, to start with, when the seeds start to go off.

I try and avoid the big/bulk deals, for the same reason...

I'm a Kilner gal too. :)

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Its the smell, isnt it?
Always a give away.
Although it can be a subtle change, to start with, when the seeds start to go off.

I try and avoid the big/bulk deals, for the same reason...

I'm a Kilner gal too. :)

Smells ike Putty, makes me gag.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

One thing to note, the oil in the flax can rot the rubber/silicon seals on the jars.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never found a brand that isn't rancid yet - maybe it's the distance travelled to reach Western Australian supermarkets? Vile stuff and I avoid it like the plague. Back in the days when I used to eat bread, I could never stand the smell or taste of the linseed varieties either. Ugh.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I keep the flaxseed in its original bag, in the airtight jar, in the larder, to try to keep it fresh.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never found a brand that isn't rancid yet - maybe it's the distance travelled to reach Western Australian supermarkets? Vile stuff and I avoid it like the plague. Back in the days when I used to eat bread, I could never stand the smell or taste of the linseed varieties either. Ugh.

Linseed oil putty. Great for glazing wooden frame Georgian style Windows though.. ;)

Reactions: 8 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I get stuck behind at least three of these **** things delivering a weeks groceries to neighbours on the last quarter mile back from work most days... I live in the country. So drive lanes.. Don't get me wrong. I don't mind the dust carts & recycling lorrys.. But for crying out loud, there are two food outlets not 10 minutes walk away from these households.!! I kid you not..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I just buy online from Linwoods. Pure flaxseed for me.. Nothing added in.....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You can get ones with added almond, coq10 etc.. I just have their plain organic ones in blue packs...