Best Form of Exercise for you

dudfirst

I'm curious about what the most useful exercises that you've found work for you.

If not the most useful, ones that are your favorites and/or most convenient.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just walking really. Waking everywhere I can. Not special trips, but whenever I can ditch the car or bus. Its amazing how much walking i can do just in my normal, everyday routine once I looked at how much I use the car or bus.

Defren

Walking for me as well. I walk outside, or on the treadmill. I have a stepper which I hate and an exercise bike which I really do need to get using again. I am going to buy a twist plate to try to help my apple shape tone up a bit :D I quite like the look of the shake weight for bingo wings.

Terminator 2

SouthernGeneral6512 said:
Unless you are young and really healthy I think that a brisk walk is probably as good as anything (and less wearing on the joints)

I agree, health permitting, its one of the easiest most sustainable approaches to exercise out there.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I do 40 minutes on the treadmill when I can in the afternoon, although not every day, and lots of walking up and down stairs in the morning. I don't exercise out of doors as the weather gives me an excuse not to go out :shock:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I love walking and do at least an hour everyday and 2 hours on a weekend, also like to get out on my bike when the weather is fine or do 30mins on my exercise bike in the garage........although I find that pretty boring and much prefer to be outdoors.

shop

Defren said:
Walking for me as well. I walk outside, or on the treadmill. I have a stepper which I hate and an exercise bike which I really do need to get using again. I am going to buy a twist plate to try to help my apple shape tone up a bit :D I quite like the look of the shake weight for bingo wings.

Hi Defren,

What is it about the stepper that you dont like? I was considering getting one because I need to build the muscles up around my knee to support/ stableize my knee cap!

I also agree walking is great And i probably dont do enough so try as Lucy does to fit it in. I find that I need to make more of an effort to do scheluled excercise as just trying to fit it in to family/farm etc isn't always easy!

Lucy.

bonnynemia

Hi Everybody:

I ran our 16-step stairs in our house for 16.5 years (from July 1991 to December 2007), 33x/session, 4 sessions/day). Starting on January 1, 2008, I switched to easier form like walking/jogging in place for a total of 100 minutes/day in 4 sessions.

Enjoy life always,

Bonny Damocles
(diagnosis fasting sugar reading - 468 mg/dl, July 1991; my only anti-diabetes medication - daily exercise; 3 daily high-carb meals definitely raise my fasting and 2-hour after-meal blood sugar readings; most past A1c's were 5.2% to 6.3%; no diabetes complications yet; 76 years old, 141 lbs 5'7"; favorite foods: heart-healthy, natural, fresh (raw or cooked), unprocessed, whole (mostly carbohydrates like plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, fish, lean pork lean beef, nuts, beans, seeds).

Please google my name to know more about me. Thanks.

hat'n'coat

I suffer from fibromyalgia so the perceived pain following any exercise is a serious deterrent and swimming now feels impossible ;( however I'm finding exercise is the only thing that seems to bring my BG down below 7 so know it's really important to make it a more regular habit.

I would say find something energetic that you love to do - if it's a chore you simply won't stick at it.
I've started ballroom dancing this year which is a surprisingly good workout and gives me good readings, (and I LOVE it!).

I also try to walk everywhere, but am really bad at getting up in the mornings so my good intentions to walk to work are often thwarted by the clock! Also trying to do a long sponsored walk this summer so have been doing some practice 12-15k walks.

A few years ago when I was suffering from depression my GP prescribed a course of weight-training at the local gym which really seemed to help - I'm sure I've read some research somewhere that weight training is particularly beneficial for diabetics too, but can't remember where I read it.

Defren

shop said:
Defren said:

Hi Defren,

What is it about the stepper that you dont like? I was considering getting one because I need to build the muscles up around my knee to support/ stableize my knee cap!

I also agree walking is great And i probably dont do enough so try as Lucy does to fit it in. I find that I need to make more of an effort to do scheluled excercise as just trying to fit it in to family/farm etc isn't always easy!

Lucy.

Hi Lucy,

I hate it 'cos it buuuuuuuuuuurns :lol: I know that means its working, but oh my, it just hurts like h*ll. I will keep trying as I know once I get fitter it won't hurt so much, for now it's in the corner where I can't see it. :lol:

shop

Defren said:
shop said:
Defren said:

Hi Defren,

Lucy.

Thanks defren :lol: Sounds good ! Thats going on my list! Burn baby burn :lol:

Hi Lucy,

I hate it 'cos it buuuuuuuuuuurns :lol: I know that means its working, but oh my, it just hurts like h*ll. I will keep trying as I know once I get fitter it won't hurt so much, for now it's in the corner where I can't see it. :lol:

Defren

shop said:
Defren said:
shop said:
Hi Defren,

Lucy.

Thanks defren :lol: Sounds good ! Thats going on my list! Burn baby burn :lol:

Hi Lucy,

Watch out Lucy it's easy to have a home gym before you have time to blink. :lol:

lorac99

Re: Best Form of Exercise for you ?treadmill

Hi All - I've notice a few 'posters' mention treadmills and I'd be very grateful for anyone's advice.
I'm T2, blood sugars are very stable, Cholesterol 3.5, BP 130/70. Am 3 stone overweight but am trying hard to loose more. Problem is my severe Intermittent Claudication. Stopped smoking, (really hard but managing most of the time). GP says I must walk but the pain is so bad I'm embarrassed when I go out. Really would like to try a treadmill at home and to try to get a level where I can walk out. Would love any advice you can give.

Terminator 2

Re: Best Form of Exercise for you ?treadmill

lorac99 said:
Really would like to try a treadmill at home and to try to get a level where I can walk out. Would love any advice you can give.

Hi Lorac99,

Cant you use the stairs or a step to build up your level? I wouldn't consider a treadmill outlay at this stage.

Is it your calf tightening and a numbness to your feet your experiencing when out?

lorac99

Total cramp in both legs can only walk 20/30 paces. Had it a while but decided to ignore it. GP says it is at a serious level but that it could well improve with no smoking and exercise. I think I could do 30 minutes, in stages, to start, and thought a treadmill would help my confidence. Seem to be staring down the barrel :shock:
Stairs are difficult as my house is split level and open plan.
Thought I might go for the 'burn' with diet, walking and no cigarettes from Monday. Have nearly given up smoking, only cheated a couple of times in last 5 weeks but I've definitely stopped now.
Thanks for your suggestion though.

Terminator 2

lorac99 said:
Total cramp in both legs can only walk 20/30 paces. Had it a while but decided to ignore it. GP says it is at a serious level but that it could well improve with no smoking and exercise. I think I could do 30 minutes, in stages, to start, and thought a treadmill would help my confidence. Seem to be staring down the barrel :shock:
Stairs are difficult as my house is split level and open plan.
Thought I might go for the 'burn' with diet, walking and no cigarettes from Monday. Have nearly given up smoking, only cheated a couple of times in last 5 weeks but I've definitely stopped now.
Thanks for your suggestion though.

Your initial post didn't make sense to me, hence the ask.

I've been there and for a doc to advocate walking doesn't make sense, because you cant, any amount of exercise wont make it go away and it could actually make things worse. Why doesn't the doc send you for a doppler ultrasound test, if you can only do 20/30 paces then the result will set you on the further investigation route, an MRI scan usually follows to identify your legs arterial blood network and any issues are identified. A 3 day visit to hospital for some Angioplasty or the insertion of stent(s)and that's that, your back walking fine, well that's how it went in my case.

Your cramp is coming from blood starvation, the cramp is muscles/tendons screaming out for oxygen but there isn't enough to go around, if you stop briefly it eases off, that's the blood catching up, its a vicious circle. If you cant walk 20/30 paces no exercise or treadmill will help, get yourself down that surgery route, then when your ABLE to walk at will, incorporate an exercise regime to assist circulation.