Best kitbag for a pump user

Bronagh11

Hi, I just got my pump yesterday, so I'm still on saline, go live date is two weeks!
Having unpacked everything from the DSN, my kit seems to have doubled! I had previously used a small make up bag for everything, including glucose sweets, but the spare sets and bits and bobs mean this is now too small. Also the fact I'll have to carry a novorapid pen "in case" mean I'll need a cooler bag of sorts. And all this to fit in a handbag!

I've looked online and found a few options. What does everyone use to carry this stuff around.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Bronagh11 said:
Hi, I just got my pump yesterday, so I'm still on saline, go live date is two weeks!
Having unpacked everything from the DSN, my kit seems to have doubled! I had previously used a small make up bag for everything, including glucose sweets, but the spare sets and bits and bobs mean this is now too small. Also the fact I'll have to carry a novorapid pen "in case" mean I'll need a cooler bag of sorts. And all this to fit in a handbag!

I've looked online and found a few options. What does everyone use to carry this stuff around.

Ahhh.. I remember this well! Coming home with more than two of us could even carry!

I fit all I need into a basic bag that I carry around 24/7, I only carry my meter, glucose tabs, pens, two needles and two batteries. This is in the event I am in a reasonable distance from home, if I'm travelling further I use a pack up box for spare vials, sets, tubing etc.

When I first started pumping I carried EVERYTHING around, like you say this didn't really fit nicely into an everyday bag and didn't feel like I was getting the freedom I had hoped for. Over time I found a happy medium of carrying the necessities and stashing the rest so I didn't have far to go to get them, families houses, friends, work etc. Just what works for me.

You might want to carry a little of everything that's up to you, especially while first starting out I would imagine, I would try get a bag that you can function with your other bits and bobs you carry around, and especially one with compartments so you can easily find something in time of need. My bag has two outside zips and one inside, the inside for valuables and the outside two separates my batteries, needles and glucose tabs, be weary if you carry cannulas you don't want to squash them!

Also if your going to buy one then i'd go to a shop take all the stuff with you, make sure it fits nicely before you buy!

Bronagh11

Thanks for the tips! I'm looking at the medicool classic at the mo. It's having to carry insulin around 'in case' that's throwing me, as the expiry is only a month. I'm here, there and everywhere with work, so will need to heave most of it around with me unfortunately. Loving the cath kidston though!

LaughingHyena

I'm also new to this pumping thing, lots of changes here too. I haven't really thought much about how to carry all the extra stuff around. I guess it depends on how long you are out for and things. Most of my journeys tend to be fairly short, and close to home so I wasn't planning on needing to take a lot around day to day.

Spare insulin wise I have been given syringes rather than pens, so I can just use the Novorapid vial if needed rather than having to keep pen cartridges in stock and in date. So if I do go out for the day I'll take a couple of those along with my in use vial so hopefully no need to keep it cool.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi Bronagh .

I use a kipling across the body bag - they will carry up to 5 litres of weight in these !
Plus fit your purse, make up, mobile phone and keys in comfortably too .
Loads of hidden zipped pockets in these bags also - can stash all sorts of things in them .
Means you will have all plus more in just the 'one' handbag if you wish :p

They have these cheaper on ebay I have found [bought 4 of them off there!]
Various colours and sizes to choose from .

Wear across the body or over the shoulder leaving your arms free to shop etc. :thumbup:

Hope this can help .

Anna .

iHs

I use a bag similar to the ones Anna has mentioned but got mine from a handbag seller in a market for just under five pounds. It can be washed in the washing machine so does the job its intended for ok :)

sarah88

Didn't realise my link didn't work!

It's a cath kidston, travel pouch. I just move that in between bags.

Now I've been on my pump a while I've realised that I don't need spares of everything with me all of the time. I have to drive most places so I have some spares in my car and I know that if I'm going any further than an hr away from home I take extra back up with me too.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Serena

I would like to suggest you that you can go for the best and largely sold Norchill coolers. These are available in small, medium and large size which gives you option to choose the one best for your need. All seems to be portable and easy to carry. Though it is small in size it carries maximum products than any other small size coolers.
From my personal experience these products are Components consist of a 100% A grade polyethylene external skin with a non staining, non odor absorbing, impact resistant food grade internal liner. So no matter how much stuff you carry in it.
Hope this will help you.