pearlzo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
drugs
Hey there,

I will admit that I am a casual drinker even though I have been living with Type 1 since circa 2008...such is life...we all have our own fix and eventually we are all gonna die some day. My average BG Levels are 9.6mmol...(not bad).

I follow a military diet for most parts...coffee, eggs and grapefruit I eat pretty much 350 days a year every morning.

Now what kinda night meals are ideal to stabilize sugar levels...I usually stick to cashew nuts or pretzels while drinking...but at times my sugar levels are around 16 before 2300hrs and early at 0600 hrs...they kinda end up like 2.7 (strange) which is when I tend to rush to starbucks or cafe neros...

any suggestions ? ? ?

Many thanks.

https://medium.com/@HealthiswealthTM/3-day-military-diet-to-lose-10-pounds-in-3-day-86b248da630e

Attachments

• EKUdN1IW4AAttSw.jpeg
    EKUdN1IW4AAttSw.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 47

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @pearlzo

Can you confirm are you drinking alcohol then when you're hitting 16+ ? If so what type ?

If this is the case then the alcohol can cause issues with your liver, as when you're drinking your liver is trying to get rid of the toxins, then after this it needs to restock it's glucose stores, hence why t1 drinkers can experience hypos the next day so it's no great mystery in regards to your 2.7.

Pretzels are high carb so will on their own cause your levels to shoot upwards, if you're drinking alcohol then try and drink less carb heavy alcohols, but always have a carby snack at the end of the night to help manage any lows during the night/following day so then some pretzels would be ok or crisps/chips.

Reactions: pearlzo

pearlzo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
drugs
Yes...I have indeed been drinking since my boarding school years. I tend to always have something to eat but problem being the 15-20 units of Lantus (longterm insulin) works in mysterious manners...some day its okay at 0600 hrs in the morning and other days NOT....a friend said it could be the stress...besides welcome to the real world...what I mean is that I do NOT lead an orthodox lifestyle...someday s dinner is at Mcdonalds...some days its chicken soup and a corned beef sandwich...I know its my mistake...was just curious...do you guys religiously follow a set/given time meal pattern...

My breakfasts are always set...but other meals and snacks is pretty much on the go.

pearlzo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
drugs
Hello @pearlzo

Can you confirm are you drinking alcohol then when you're hitting 16+ ? If so what type ?

If this is the case then the alcohol can cause issues with your liver, as when you're drinking your liver is trying to get rid of the toxins, then after this it needs to restock it's glucose stores, hence why t1 drinkers can experience hypos the next day so it's no great mystery in regards to your 2.7.

Pretzels are high carb so will on their own cause your levels to shoot upwards, if you're drinking alcohol then try and drink less carb heavy alcohols, but always have a carby snack at the end of the night to help manage any lows during the night/following day so then some pretzels would be ok or crisps/chips.

you said "but always have a carby snack at the end of the night to help manage any lows during the night/following day so then some pretzels would be ok or crisps/chips."

makes sense..thanks coz I usually eat em snacks while drinking...after drinking I tend to fall asleep...beer fills my belly. but thanks...informative

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Your welcome - Beyondtype1 is a great resource for type 1's - it's produced by a group of US type 1's and the site has tons of useful content.

My personal concern with alcohol stems from the fact that when too much is consumed the effects are similar to hypos, so it's a case of striking a fine balance between having a few and remaining coherent enough to check BG levels. I used to love a big night out but have reigned it all in now as I don't want to lose control or become unconscious as a result of drinking and low blood glucose levels. I tend to stick to red wine and gin with diet mixers now if I fancy a tipple.

Reactions: pearlzo