best natural way to clear a urine infection

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im sure i read some were on here about someone who regularly got urine infections and cleared them with lots of water plus something natural but i cant find the post now, anyone have any tips without going down the antibiotics route. Im asking on behalf of my sister as she doesn't use forums
cheers
James

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Yep plenty of water, and a bit of bicarb, but don't over do that because its high in sodium. Try a teaspoon in water a few times just for a day, its actually recommended for cystitis. Cranberry juice is another but test your sugars.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you have a kidney infection you need antibiotics, a bit of bladder irritation/bug lots of water and ural.
as a diabetic I wouldn't mess with my kidneys and would see the DR and get antibiotics. severe complications can arise otherwise

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Cranberry juice is supposedly good for urine infections, but good bg control together with drinking plenty of water will inevitably help to keep them at bay.

Reactions: 2 people

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
I, too, have had excellent results with only cranberry juice. Maybe, in health shops, an unsweetened version will be available (had that in Canada, pretty sour, but it did the trick).

annelise

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cranberry juice is supposedly good for urine infections, but good bg control together with drinking plenty of water will inevitably help to keep them at bay.

UTI's are very common when on chemotherapy. I had this treatment last year. We were advised to drink Cranberry Juice, which I did in large amounts, and never had a UTI during the 5 months of treatment. I did, however, end up with diabetes! Lol.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
UTI's are very common when on chemotherapy. I had this treatment last year. We were advised to drink Cranberry Juice, which I did in large amounts, and never had a UTI during the 5 months of treatment. I did, however, end up with diabetes! Lol.

Such a shame after coming through chemo Bluetit :(

My MIL had a few UTI's in a short space of time and she started to drink Cranberry Juice, she's not had any problems since but it could just be a coincidence.......who knows.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
If your sister has a fever or is in moderate to severe pain, or has flank pain, or feels really unwell, it probably needs antibiotics to avoid a very painful and risky kidney infection. Better safe than sorry, diabetes or not.

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I would never risk trying to treat a UTI without seeing a doctor, but to maintain good bladder health she could try cranberry extract tablets, you can get them in pharmacies. Always see a doctor if you have kidney pain or blood in the urine, or if the infection is persistent

Gingerjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Does a uti increase your bs? Had nothing g to eat and feel awful. Tested and gone from this morning. Got antibiotics now. Feel awful