Best test strips for accurate results

VickiT11979

I've just got a Bayer Contour Next USB meter, with Contour Next test strips.

They were tested for their accuracy & got very good results.

They tested 100 samples of blood that were >4.2mmol/L in the lab to get a lab glucose value, then tested the same blood on 3 different Contour Next test strips & compared the results.

74% were within 5% of the lab glucose value.
98% were within 10%.
100% were within 15%.

The current standard is that 95% of test strip results should be within 20% of lab results - 20% is a huge range, eg for a lab value of 10.0 your typical test strip could be showing 8.1 or 11.9 & be within "acceptable" standards. And 5%, or 1 in 20 readings could be less accurate than that.

With these strips you'd be almost certain to get a result of 9.1 to 11.0 if your true value was 10.0, and likely to get one from 9.5 to 10.5 - much better!

The strips also work with the Bayer Contour XT meter, which I think you can get free from Bayer if you fill in an online form, but I think you need to say that you use insulin & test often - not sure how often as I didn't fill this in but got my meter from my HCP.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Interesting, I changed from the Accu-chek Nano last year over to the Contour USB and changed again to the Next just recently, hoping in the next 5 years bg testing from the fingers will be a distant memory :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think that is why it is sometimes better to look for "trends" in readings or re-test if you get an abnormal one.