Best time to take metformin

trudy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take 2 tablets a day I take them with my lunch then with dinner. Is that right??

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
No right or wrong answer to that as it comes down to reactions ..... but yes, that was what I did before I dumped them

Jono1568

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was on three tablets per day, but now on two. I usually take one after breakfast and one after tea, but sometimes I'll take one at lunch instead of breakfast if I think the meal will affect my blood more. I'm not sure if my way of thinking is correct, but it seems to work.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I take mine at lunch and tea time

pablo46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take 2 tablets a day I take them with my lunch then with dinner. Is that right??
Hi Trudy,
Reading the other posts as well as yours I am surprised at the inconsistency among them.
My Doctor prescribes them as take in the morning and evening after food.
The package leaflet instructions from the manufacturer states take exactly as the Doctor tells you.
I started on one a day (morning) and some 6 years later am now on 4 a day (2 morning and 2 evening)
Worse still my average (over 3 months) Blood Sugars have built up to over 8 and the Doctor has now added Gliclazide (1 per day). Unfortunately this now leads me to Hypo's mid Morning and I need to eat to keep this under control.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From what I understand Metformin works by building up in your system and has no effect directly on post meal levels, you only take it with a meal to mitigate stomach upset...

I take both mine with my lunch, I used to have stomach problems with them but pretty good now, I can even take them with no food in a pinch....

So would say if you have stomach probs take them as far apart as you can (with food),... so you can deal with them one at a time...

But when I had problems with them to begin with I liked to get then all down before 6pm , simply because if my stomach played up I wanted to be able to rush to the loo, could be nasty if you were asleep :eek: if you get my drift :)

Reactions: 2 people