1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Best time to take metformin

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by trudy1, Apr 5, 2016.

1. trudy1

trudy1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I take 2 tablets a day I take them with my lunch then with dinner. Is that right??

2. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

No right or wrong answer to that as it comes down to reactions ..... but yes, that was what I did before I dumped them

3. Jono1568

Jono1568 Type 2 · Member

I was on three tablets per day, but now on two. I usually take one after breakfast and one after tea, but sometimes I'll take one at lunch instead of breakfast if I think the meal will affect my blood more. I'm not sure if my way of thinking is correct, but it seems to work.

4. ally1

ally1 Type 2 · Expert

I take mine at lunch and tea time

5. pablo46

pablo46 Type 2 · Newbie

Hi Trudy,
    Reading the other posts as well as yours I am surprised at the inconsistency among them.
    My Doctor prescribes them as take in the morning and evening after food.
    The package leaflet instructions from the manufacturer states take exactly as the Doctor tells you.
    I started on one a day (morning) and some 6 years later am now on 4 a day (2 morning and 2 evening)
    Worse still my average (over 3 months) Blood Sugars have built up to over 8 and the Doctor has now added Gliclazide (1 per day). Unfortunately this now leads me to Hypo's mid Morning and I need to eat to keep this under control.

6. mfactor

mfactor Type 2 · Well-Known Member

From what I understand Metformin works by building up in your system and has no effect directly on post meal levels, you only take it with a meal to mitigate stomach upset...

I take both mine with my lunch, I used to have stomach problems with them but pretty good now, I can even take them with no food in a pinch....

So would say if you have stomach probs take them as far apart as you can (with food),... so you can deal with them one at a time...

But when I had problems with them to begin with I liked to get then all down before 6pm , simply because if my stomach played up I wanted to be able to rush to the loo, could be nasty if you were asleep :eek: if you get my drift :)

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook