Bezafibrate & Ezetimibe Probs?

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I had a note stuck to my prescription when I collected it yesterday warning me of a potential problem with taking both Bezafibrate & Ezetimibe. I can't seem to find anything specific online regarding this so I wondered if anyone else has come across this warning? I've been on them both for a number of years and have not had anyone pick up on this, so it might be a new discovery.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Did you collect your prescription from your GP or your pharmacy? If so why don't you ask whoever put that note on what the problem is? :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Have checked this out in the BNF61 which is the prescribing bible.

Bezafibrate :
When used with Ezetimibe increased risk of cholelithiasis and gallbladder disease when fibrates given with ezetimibe —discontinue if suspected

Simply put, that means Cholelithiasis is a gallbladder disease and it indicates the presence of gallstones.

You need to discuss this with your GP to see if you are at risk and if you need to change to an alternative drug.

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
daisy1 said:
Did you collect your prescription from your GP or your pharmacy? If so why don't you ask whoever put that note on what the problem is? :)
I collected it from my local Boots pharmacy where, unfortunately the pharmasist spoke little English. But I did ask and she just shrugged and said it would be OK!

Reactions: Triffo

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
cugila said:
Have checked this out in the BNF61 which is the prescribing bible.

Bezafibrate :
When used with Ezetimibe increased risk of cholelithiasis and gallbladder disease when fibrates given with ezetimibe —discontinue if suspected

Simply put, that means Cholelithiasis is a gallbladder disease and it indicates the presence of gallstones.

You need to discuss this with your GP to see if you are at risk and if you need to change to an alternative drug.

Thanks for that info. Presumably that might account for why I had an emergency gall bladder removal about 2 years ago when it filled with a "gritty" substance and swelled to 4-5 times its normal size
On the bright side, it can't happen again so I guess I'm OK to continue woth the tablets!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Possibly not Mr. B !

Please discuss with GP as it is possible for the 'grit' to come back in the bile duct in susceptible people......not pleasant !