BG and Jetlag

Fraddycat

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if jetlag has an inpact on BG? I am trying to keep my carbs low whilst I am here in the US (working not playing) but my readings are constantly in the 7s - last week when I was at home I was mostly in the 5s. Now I know I don't have the same control over my food here but I am trying to choose carb free when possible. Even my fasting BG is higher here than in UK.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jane

Grazer

Not sure, but I reckon jet lag will play a part. The dawn phenomenon which raises BGs to prepare us for the day occurs when the body thinks you are due to get up and get going. If it's confused with the time, does it do it's glycogen release at the wrong time? Stress also causes our body to release cortisol which increases Bgs, so flying and jetlag is stressful....and is working in the US a bit more stressful? could be another factor.

Fraddycat

You're right it is more stressful, that's probably a factor, thanks! I'll just keep trying to keep it low carb, getting some exercise and hoping it will get back to normal next week. Thanks

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have this problem and find that exercise seems to sort it for me.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My sugars always rise when I travel long distances into different time zones. It normally takes me 2 -3 weeks to get back to normal. I assume it's due to confused liver-dump timing etc?

Elc1112

Yep, jet lag definitely has an impact on my sugar levels. More than anything else, I think it's the fact that my meal times, sleeping patterns etc all change. I also need to adjust my insulin - both time and dose - to try and keep things under control.

The only thing I can suggest is to try and keep your meal and sleeping patterns as regular as possible. I tend to adjust to new time zones pretty easily so tend not to have too many problems after the first day.

Hope it doesn't affect you too much! Emma