BG Control

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
This I found enlightening at another DB Site,,,

The “under 10 at 2 hours” is old standard NHS advice. Its what I was told at diagnosis 5 years ago. I think its because we are expected to “Fail” to some extent.

I think the problem is that they have had so many “non-compliant” patients in the past, particularly since many diabetics have been elderly, that their hopes for any diabetic to control the condition are not high. The other high profile group of diabetics is young type 1s and of course they are likely to deviate from “good control” as a matter of rebellion as much as anything else. So I think this advice was come up with some time ago so that we diabetics could be “a bit better” without going off the rails completely.

But for long term control, we want to minimise the chances of complications and in particular the big 3 terrifying ones – loss of sight, failed kidneys and circulation problems potentially leading to foot amputation. The odds of these have generally been linked to A1c, although that is probably not the full story.

According to statistics in Gretchen Becker’s “Type 2 Diabetes – The First Year”, the chance of retinopathy over 15 years for someone with an A1c of 6 is 2%. Over the same period with an A1c of 7 is 11%, A1c 8 = 40% and A1c 9 = 89%. So this is why so many of us strive for an A1c under 6%

But the full story may be slightly different. There have been several studies which suggest that damage is done at BG levels around 7.5 (and in some cases lower). Now there is little mention in these studies of how long your BG needs to be at that level for this damage to occur. So the standard NHS advice for “under 10 at 2 hours” seems to think that a certain amount of risk of damage is “acceptable”. This ties in with the received wisdom that diabetes is progressive and your situation will get worse over time.

Many of us believe that diabetes need not be progressive and that complications are NOT inevitable over a period of years. As a result we minimise the chances of any damage by keeping our BGs as close to “normal” or “non-diabetic” as possible.

many of us have discovered combinations of foods which do not push the BG up very high, so reducing the chances of any damage. So by using your meter, you can find out what combinations of foods work for you and which do not. This does not mean that your diet becomes “limited” or “boring”, but just getting the combinations of foods and portion sizes right, you can eat relatively normally without pushing up your BG.

Eat healthier foods overall, with more vitamins and vital nutrients than before, take more interest in food and enjoy food more. keep BGs in a lower range MOST of the time (we all like to be naughty sometimes).

The NHS approach seems to be generally for people to make slight changes to diet and exercise, then increase the drugs to keep the A1c low. By changing diet a little more, many people find they can do without the same level of drugs and it IS a sustainable lifestyle. If things do go downhill a little later, then an increase in drugs is there as backup just in case. However 5 metformin a day is the maximum dose so in some people’s cases, the backup is a more limited.

So the upshot of all this is that your medics may be happy to push your drugs up and set targets that you find it easy to reach. If you do a bit of testing of your BG and find out what works for you, then you can reduce the drugs so that they are always there later if you need them, reduce the risks of complications and as a bonus may well find yourself eating far better than you ever did before and living a healthier life for many years to come.
Thanks to VBH...............

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Hi Roy
Hope you are well! This is an interesting post. I was at my 2nd education clinic last week and I asked the question about testing with a meter instead of with urine sticks ( with which we've been issued but which only read positive at 10 mmol/L - so this seems to tie in with the out dated advice. Apparently, if we had mainly negative results with the wee sticks we were all to be congratulated - and to be reassured that we were under control ). So - I said : diabetic is over 7 - so people could be having 9.9mmol/l almost constantly but not know it because of testing with sticks.And these levels are not good. The nurse then asked me what the point of knowing your BG is, if you can't do anything about it. She then repeated "what are you going to DO about it???" so I said - look at what you're eating, content, portion size etc - go for a brisk walk ......
What worries me is that there is no recognition that you can influence your BG through diet and exercise - even though the NHS is happy to label people as "diet and exercise controlled". Looks like they are happy to wait until you are in double figures and then medicate you. End of story. It all seems a bit skew-whiff to me!!

Cath N

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I could not agree more Cath. But we know different, and we/us and by that I mean us lucky ones who have sought out and read on such sites as this and others, coupled with the ability to share our knowledge and experiences, and all the research out there, see all the holes in their stupid ideology. What worries me are those figures for damage onset, they are way below what the NICE guidelines state, and what the NHS are dishing out. How many people are these Idiots going to kill before some one say's, hay!! hang on one minute something is wrong here, It's not happening we really need to listen to the Diabetics out there and let them tell us what is working and work with them. Not dismiss them as interfering, obstructive patients. My fear is, as the population of Diabetics increases as predicted, it will be our NHS that bankrupts themselves because of the spiralling cost's of treatment for the complications it will lead too. These people are now looking at short term cost's rather than long term cost to NHS and bean counters are running riot, I am at a loss why they do not educate, and ask Type 2's to test BG and adjust their diets accordingly, Eat to your meter is our mantra. my worst fear is THAT TIME WILL TELL??????

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
RoyG said:
something is wrong here
RoyG said:
we really need to listen to the Diabetics out there and let them tell us what is working and work with them. Not dismiss them as interfering, obstructive patients

Yep. Just because I asked a question about meter testing, I definitely got the cold shoulder. Up to then, it had all been a bit sickly - far too nice and a bit patronising; as if we were being talked to as idiots. As soon as it became obvious that I'd done some research and was asking informed questions they had me down as trouble.

I also felt that they were trying to make light of the whole thing. I know they don't want to spread fear and panic - but with such a serious condition knowledge is power, surely.

And I agree with you Roy, that this forum is a life saver. Literally!!

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
In light of my misunderstanding of copyright rules, and due to the fact the missus had walked in with copious ammounts of Chip shop chips, fish and various other forms of past delight, of which I cannot part take :( :( I removed previous post but can post a link to it, it is very informative regarding the way to use your meter in arguing your case to GP to conform to the NICE guidelines. It is on another forum so I do hope the or Jennifer do not mind me spreading the word.

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=136

Also another interesting page on testing with some handy information,

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=111

And lastly a doctors crib sheet detailing the methods used in medication and prescribing.

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=809

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My standard question for the people who tell me I shouldn't test [and yess it still happens!] is to ask
"Wouldn't you like to keep the best possible control and NORMAL BLOOD GLUCOSE and stave off complications if you were in my position?"
So far i haven't had anyone say "No!".
Hana

Pneu

About four years ago now I gave my head a big shunt on the luggage rack of a train I was travelling on... que coming round 30 seconds or so later and a massive headache I made my way down to the local A&E.. anyway suffice to say the rest of that day was a blur and around 9 hours later I found myself at home... (apparently I had been discharged?! and travelled back on a 5 hour train journey across the country...)

Anyway the outcome of that was that the blood vessels behind my right eye had all burst (well not all of them but enough!) and a couple of days later I found I had lost some of my vision.. anyway after some laser treatment the doctor basically said that being diabetic I had not a chance in hell that the eye would be all-right.. and since I have been attending 3 monthly check-up's on both eyes.. I think they have been pleasantly surprised that not only is the eye not getting worse it has actually got better since...

What does this tell us? In my mind it shows that for me at least it is 100% worth keeping as near normal blood glucose as I can manage as this has given me the same response to injury as a normal person.. and most likely kept the sight in my right eye..

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I thought the under 10 mmol/L at 2 hours was advised only for children with T1. The NICE advise for T2's is under 8.5 mmol/L at 2 hours and under 9 mmol/L at 2 hours for adult T1's.

8.5 mmol/L is still higher than I like to be as a T2 but Ive never heard the under 10 mmol/L before for T2's.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
The big plasma screen at my local diabetic clinic says TRY and be under 12 after two hours :shock: but then does also show the 4 to 7 NICE fasting level guidelines. Apart from at night then given the slow insulin response many T2's have I would say a lot would have great trouble falling back to 4 to 7 before they eat again.