Bg hour after meals

jhinkson1

Is anyone actually able to reach the below 7.8 target an hour post meals? I'm finding it so difficult. Even if i eat the same thing everyday, one day i'll reach the target and the next day they'll be well off. So frustrating!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Much depends on what the meal consisted of and what your pre-meal reading was.

jhinkson1

Pre meal is usuallyvalways below 5. My meals aren't carb heavy but i just don't understand how it can differ so much especially if its the same meal just a different day.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Depending on the carb content, a rise just 1 hr after eating is common. Even non-diabetics see a rise in BG levels after eating. Ideally, your levels should be near to pre-meal reading but not until at least 2 hrs after. As for same meals and differing readings, it depends by how much they vary but again, there will always be something different, level of activity, exercise, stress etc which can all have a bearing on the numbers.

Reactions: 5 people

jhinkson1

I agree. It's very hard getting it in that target range an hour after especially when 2 hours after meals my bg is either pre meal level or im getting a mild hypo. Im going to try and stick to low carb meals and see what happens.

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree it is really tough and the only way I've managed to do it is by essentially cutting down to almost carbs. It's not fun but it seems to be working (to my great annoyance in some ways)! I've got a pump and cgms and this was the only way I could do it after 18months of intense fiddling with pump settings. Good luck!

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just realised that didn't read right.....it was meant to say NO carbs. Sorry if confusing! Basically I only get to have carbs if I hypo, nothing with meals and none in snacks.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As mentioned there are other factors effecting your results, factors you cant really control........

YOU could try experimenting with dose timing, getting the insulin in earlier than you usually do can help match up the insulin action to the food digestion.......

I have seen myself having a 50g plus meal and having BGs every half hour of below 7, no doubt that I was lucky then, but it shows it is possible...

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just realised that didn't read right.....it was meant to say NO carbs. Sorry if confusing! Basically I only get to have carbs if I hypo, nothing with meals and none in snacks.

By no carbs do you mean the breads, rices, pasta etc........?

you will have veg yeah?

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep, lots of veg esp greens. So breakfast is eggs and bacon/salmon or something like that, lunch salad, dinner meat/fish with green veggies. Snack of nuts. Only having fruit if have a hypo as find fruit shoots my BMs up too much. Have recently invested in a new juice thing called a nutribullet which pulverises everything, veg, nuts etc to make great smoothies which can also be carb free. I have to be careful because some protein loads caused my BMs to spike a lot too.
God it's such a pain!
Hope that's helpful...

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
They don't expect it to drop an hour after that's no longer the case, by next meal time really so 3-4 hours later they expect it to be within target range. I do as long as I have carb counted correctly. I wld recommend carb counting to anyone now I've done it, the difference in my BGs is immense since learning the routine. It's a sure thing in my eyes!! And that's eating whatever I want, not having to watch the carbs or the puds if u have a sweet tooth!! ;o)

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Guuuuys low carb if u r dieting maybe? Or it's your preference. If u r serious about your health but wld like to lead a normal life. Please, carb counting is the way forward and not time consuming what so ever, we r on our mobiles all the time, so y not download "carbs & cals" & "my fitness pal" the carbs are mostly all in one or the other. Your Dr or dietician will want a food diary from you & all pre meal bloods for over a 2 week period maybe longer and between you both u will work out a insulin to carb ratio for meal times and snacks....that's the hard part over!! I'm pregnant and this works a charm for me, I'll never go back to my old ways!! :)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just for information and to back up what was said earlier I did some tests on my (non-diabetic) wife so that I could compare her readings with mine and after fish and chips she was over 7.8 at the one hour point. If I want to ensure I am under 7.8 (and I see no reason to ) I will exercise for 10 mins just before the one hour - cheating I know but it works.

sanchia07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have just had my first check up, and have been given target range of below 8 1 hour after meals and 5.7 for pre breakfast. So these targets are still been given.

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree that carb counting is essential, unfortunately this isn't good enough for me. Despite having exactly right insulin:carb ratio and counting correctly my bm still spikes and then crashes and my consultant hasn't been able to sort it out so low carbs whilst miserable at times is the only thing I can get to work but my diabetes is particularly brittle. I guess everyone is different and it's trial and error that we all must try.

jhinkson1

I tried carb counting and it didnt work. My sugars were sky high.
Im managing to get most post meal sugars below 7.5 now, they made me increase my insulin by 1 unit even if it means i'll probably get a hypo they seem to prefer this than going too high. They said hypo's do not harm the baby.
I'm just trying to eat more carby snacks earlier than usual to prevent the hypo's.

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I hope they can work out a regime that works for u. It's hard regardless, if I miss judge carbs I'm over target & with lots of changes u r going through whilst growing baby, u'll find that u'll get to a happy medium just for things to change up again. My HB1AC was 9% when I fell pregnant, through help from the Dieticians I am now 6.9% and getting better every month. Things r going well so far but there's still a lot that can go wrong. U'll get there in the end, I had and still have spikes now and again!! But I do stick by my carb counting, I've found it life changing really!! :) We r all different tho indeed and what works for some May bit work for others. Good Luck!!

jhinkson1

Does anyone inject their rapid acting insulin half an hour before meals? My sugars peak an hour after meals, the nurse reccommended injecting 15 mins before meals but theyre still in double figures. I feel injecting half an hour to 45 mins before meals would sort this out. What do people think?

Nannyspice

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
do u do your post meal check one or two hours after main meal? I have been doing mine after 2 hours, am I wrong?