BG levels after stopping Metformin

Hairycamel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone had any experience of how much BG levels go up after quitting Metformin? I have been off all medication now for about 2 weeks, and my fasting levels have gone up to between 5.4 and 5.9 where previously they were 4.5 to 5.0.

Is this to be expected and is it within normal parameters for such things?

Answers on a postcard please........

Reactions: 4 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Generally metformin doesnt make a huge difference to bg levels, the max 2000mg a day will only help to drop bg levels by something like 1 or 2 points even when levels are quite high.

I dropped down from 4 X 500mg a day to 2 X 500mg a day and didnt really see a noticeable difference to my day to day readings or my HbA1c, so the changes you mention are probably what you might expect.

Hope this is helpful

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't seen any measurable change in my levels since stopping my medication 5 weeks ago. Possibly my fasting is up slightly but it never was low even on the metformin.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stopped forxiga second week of January, fasting not really altered much, still in the 5's and hba1c still non diabetic level of 39 at the present so not the change I expected and worried about!

Reactions: 2 people

Hairycamel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brill! Thanks for that. I suppose I'll be nervous until my first HBA1C without Metformin.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
they say metformin lowers A1c by 0.8-1.5%, so I guess it's wait and see, if in doubt I'd ask dr about going back on them, there are other benefits to metformin as well.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin helps prevent the liver from producing glucose. It is this liver dump that can increase fasting levels, (dawn phenomenon) hence Metformin helps lower fasting levels. This could be the reason your fasting has gone up. It has very little affect on any pre or post meal levels.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Care to enlighten me further?

https://www.google.com.au/#q=benefits+metformin

http://www.emaxhealth.com/1275/type-2-diabetes-drug-metformin-has-surprise-benefits
anticancer, heart

The findings were “illuminating,” according to Professor Craig Currie, the study’s lead author.

• Individuals who took metformin showed a significant improvement in survival when compared with people without diabetes.
  • In addition, survival among people with diabetes who took sulfonylureas was lower than that of people without the disease.
  • Metformin even seemed to be helpful for people who had type 1 diabetes
  • Previous research has shown that metformin can cut the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by one-third among people with prediabetes.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
You can take more than 2000 metformin I'm on 3000 a day.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I dropped them again two weeks back and my morning figures are actually lower. If I can avoid them (or any other pill) then I will.

But that's just me.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Mike D , @Hairycamel ..you guys didn't open the link?
https://www.google.com.au/#q=benefits+metformin
  1. Metformin diabetes drug could extend lifespan Medical ...
    www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/280725.
    Aug 8, 2014 - Metformin is approved in the US as a treatment for type 2 diabetes. ... diabetes drug could offer surprising health benefits to non-diabetics ...

2. Metformin Wonder Drug - Diabetes Self-Management
    1. www.diabetesselfmanagement.com › Blog › David Spero
      Jan 25, 2012 - Now new research finds metformin prevents cancer and heart ... Metformin is a very beneficial drug. scientists have found a lots of benefits of it.

3. etc ..etc..etc

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I did Jack ..... no wuz ....... doc was gonna take me off them anyway in 2 weeks time. He wanted to

They do nothing for me .... and that is MY body telling me mate :) She's right :)

Best Mike

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya,

Although I have not stopped taking mefformin - I did find when they reduced my prescription from 3000 a day to 1000 a day that I felt hungrier, and my BS crept up a little bit. It took about 6 weeks to get them back down to the levels I was before the decrease. I think this might partly be because I started to eat more... Metformin curbs the appetite...this could be something to watch out for.

Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Dead right Kez ..... what happened with me as well ....... but I did not (and will not) shift on portions. Do not want anything at all by way of pills.

Done with them :)