BG levels and the common cold.

Rushy

Does anyone else know of a decent cold remedy (Just a decongestant alone would be good) that a Diabetic can actually take without making their BG levels go crazy? It's driving me crazy just now and my BG's are up a little already. I'm on ACE inhibitors (Ramipril 10mg) and the medication from the ASCEND medical trial (Aspirin & Omega3 oil (or placebo)).

Any ideas experts?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Rushy.

Do what I always do. Visit your usual Pharmacy where they know all about your meds. Ask the Pharmacist's advice. They will give you the correct medicine taking into account ALL your present medications. They are the experts you need to talk to.

That has to be the safest and most sensible way.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I'm very surprised to hear that. Was it the Pharmacist or just an assistant ?

Did they suggest a steam inhalation such as Olbas Oil or Friars Balsam. A simple Menthol and Eucalyptus Inhalation should have been offered........ :?

Have used all and there is no problem as it just clears the nasal passages and your tubes. Very effective, especially the Friars Balsam.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Rushy

I am surprised that the chemist didn't have something suitable. Maybe worth trying a different or larger chemist shop, or alternatively go to your doctor and get a prescription for your chest.

Regards

Nigel

Rushy

Thanks for the responses folks.

I do already have stuff like Olbas oil and various steam inhalers etc but, to be honest, they don't really seem touch the nasal congestion unless you can already breath to a certain extent and I'm way to congested for that.

I'll keep on keeping on and hope it clears before too long.