BG Levels to aim for. What are they?

Paperdos

Hi,
Well, i've not long been diagnosed & just been started on Metformin.

One question:

BG Levels - What should we be aiming for?

Before breakfast / fasting?

After meals?

Before bed?

I think this is a very important question for everyone not just newbies. I would be grateful for any replies on this topic. If we're all singing from the same hymn book (so to speak), we will all get there.

Thanks in advance

Trinkwasser

Paperdos said:
Hi,
Well, i've not long been diagnosed & just been started on Metformin.

One question:

BG Levels - What should we be aiming for?

Before breakfast / fasting?

After meals?

Before bed?

I think this is a very important question for everyone not just newbies. I would be grateful for any replies on this topic. If we're all singing from the same hymn book (so to speak), we will all get there.

Thanks in advance

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/ ... comes.html

http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you believe Bernstein, we should be aiming at 4.7 at any time.
The medics usually say 5 - 7 before eating and up to 10 after 2 hours. That's a bit old numbers, so rather less would be better. One of my neighbours was told not to panic up to 12.
I personally get upset if I'm above 6 at any time. ( There are people who think I'm obsessive with that number)

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think it's fair to say that we should aim for non-diabetic blood sugars at all, or at least the vast majority of the time. So the question is what are normal numbers?
Typically between 4 and 5, rarely up as high as 8 and only then if a lot of carbohydrate has been eaten.

All the best,

fergus

wanderslore

I honestly think its what you are happy with, if its under 7 before food I'm cool, between 10-12 after food is ok. I only allow myself up to 12 however if I know I have been at the dreaded Coca Cola.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi wanderslore,

I think the question was what should we be aiming for, not what we're happy with?
Non-diabetic blood sugars is not an unrealistic aim and should be everyone's ambition surely?
What we're happy with is a very personal thing and we'll all set different limits to suit ourselves, but a newbie just starting out needs to know what to aim for if they are going to get there.

All the best,

fergus

Paperdos

Thanks everyone for the varied replies. At the moment if I get under 6, it's usually after I've not eaten for about 5 hours and I know without testing because I get a nasty headache & go Jekyll and Hyde on my husband, poor man. My dinner time varies hence why it could be up to 5 hours between lunch and dinner, obviously this will be one of my first changes, i've already been giving low carb a go, it's really, really difficult! I'm a cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch & a pasta or rice part of dinner kinda gal.

Saying that, my mother didn't change her ways when she was diagnosed Type 2, she ended up on a slippery slope of complications with concluded with her passing away. That was just over a year ago now. Her BG's varied between 7 and 18 - so, definately not the way to go about it! Her sweet tooth didn't help.

About 6 years ago I tested my BG's because of the family's history etc and it was 4.6, I can't remember whether that was before or after food though. I guess that would be roughly what I should aim for:
4 - 5 before food,
no higher than 8 after food

I definately want to avoid any diabetes complications. I'm just so glad to read positive posts on here of people having diabetes their whole life & managing just fine. Shame my mum didn't manage better or my brother who's waiting for a kidney & pancreas transplant, bad eyesight, stress fractures in his feet, etc.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Paperdos,
At least you have an advantage your mum didn't - you have seen what happens when blood sugars are not controlled. Armed with that knowledge I am sure you will do well and stay on top of your diabetes.

Paperdos

That's so true. I've been feeling quite ill with the metformin, with my inflammatory bowel & gastric reflux i've felt quite sick. I know it's one of the side effects, but when you have several other medical condtions that make you feel rough it really doesn't help!
Been taking Domperidone, which does help the nausea. Now i really understand why a side effect is weight loss, i really don't feel like eating anything, but with diabetes, i know i have to. Catch 22 situation.