BG levels when not well

rosgrech

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It began with a bad cold between Xmas & NY which has now developed into a chest infection - it doesnt seem to want to shift.

My main concern are my BG levels which have escalated alarmingly (15-17's)!! :shock: How on earth can I keep them down? My (GI) diet has remained the same, plenty of liquids, take my medication religiously, walk every day (at least around the block in this snow/ice).

I thought I was doing so well with my first HbA1c coming in, encouragingly, at 6.8%.

Suggestions please!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi rosgrech,

I am type 1, and when ill blood glucose rise as it does in type 2's. As a type 1, we are told to increase insulin to counteract the increasing bg's. I am unsure if the same advice is given to type 2's, i.e increase meds, your diabetes nurse or doctor may be better at advising on this issue. Keep drinking plenty of fluids and hope you feel better soon.

Nigel

nilemthakrar

hi i found this topic interestingg...
well im type 2 on insulin and whenever i turn ill my sugar levels seem to remain below 3 and doesnt seem to come up...so its wierd....i have to take the lowest dose of insulin and it horrid because it just seems to make me feel a lot more worse in myself...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
nilemthakrar said:
hi i found this topic interestingg...
well im type 2 on insulin and whenever i turn ill my sugar levels seem to remain below 3 and doesnt seem to come up...so its wierd....i have to take the lowest dose of insulin and it horrid because it just seems to make me feel a lot more worse in myself...

That is unusual, I have heard this before, but normally in illness blood glucose do tend to be elevated. Just proves that we are all individual. :)

Nigel