Bg reading lowest ever is this ok

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Can someone put my mind at rest, my BG readings have been in the 5s and mainly 6s for a few weeks now,todays BG reading this morning was 6.2 just now 2 hrs after dinner 4.6 lowest ever was a bit shocked to be honest is this ok so soon.:wideyed:

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
THANK YOU WORRY WHEN ITS UP NOW WORRYING AS IT HAS COME DOWN I DONT KNOW WHAT ARE WE LIKE :)

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
@amgrundy I wouldn't worry, unless of course you are taking any sulphurea medication for your diabetes, I used to be on Glimepiride which caused me a few hypo incidents.

Reactions: 2 people

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hi Can someone put my mind at rest, my BG readings have been in the 5s and mainly 6s for a few weeks now,todays BG reading this morning was 6.2 just now 2 hrs after dinner 4.6 lowest ever was a bit shocked to be honest is this ok so soon.:wideyed:
Great numbers @amgrundy well done

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@amgrundy You little worrypot! :) Anything between 4-7 is good for a T2. The lower the better. You are doing fine!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The main question is - how did you feel at 4.6? According to the notes Daisy1 gives us as Newbies, 4,6 is in fairly good territory, but one is advised not to drive a car at this level, You are not reporting any symptoms of hypo, and if so then its nothing to worry about. You are, i believe a Low Carber, so if you are aiming for a bgl average around 5, then sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose, but the average smoothes that out. Personally i aim for an average of around 6 because i am on Gliclazide, and so I try to reduce my exposure to low bgl. I went on the free DCUK Hypo Awareness course on this site, and it has prepared me for the occasional low.
i recommend it to everyone even if you do not expect to get down that low yet. My first hypo, i had a premeal reading of over 10, then ate a large meal (Low Carb) and an hour later I was at 3.2mmol and deffo in hypoland. i was able to cope without assistance because of the course.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
@amgrundy I wouldn't worry, unless of course you are taking any sulphurea medication for your diabetes, I used to be on Glimepiride which caused me a few hypo incidents.
HI Stallen, Thanks for your reply no I am not on any other medication for diabetes only Metformin 500mg SR been on slow release for a week now.:)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
The main question is - how did you feel at 4.6? According to the notes Daisy1 gives us as Newbies, 4,6 is in fairly good territory, but one is advised not to drive a car at this level, You are not reporting any symptoms of hypo, and if so then its nothing to worry about. You are, i believe a Low Carber, so if you are aiming for a bgl average around 5, then sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose, but the average smoothes that out. Personally i aim for an average of around 6 because i am on Gliclazide, and so I try to reduce my exposure to low bgl. I went on the free DCUK Hypo Awareness course on this site, and it has prepared me for the occasional low.
i recommend it to everyone even if you do not expect to get down that low yet. My first hypo, i had a premeal reading of over 10, then ate a large meal (Low Carb) and an hour later I was at 3.2mmol and deffo in hypoland. i was able to cope without assistance because of the course.
HI Oldvatr Thank you for your advice, I felt fine when I did this reading last night . Think its just me worrying I do seem to stay in the 6s a lot but that doesn't worry me as we are all different I know at least under the 8s Thank you again.:)

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Great Reading!!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@amgrundy clear evidence that all your hard work is starting to have positive resuts.

Don't get discouraged if you don't see another 4 point for a while. They will start to come more regularly over time, as your diet changes get established.

khkwong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don't worry too much when the reading drop a little bit low or go slightly higher. As our blood are not homogeneous with same BG level through out. The droplet of blood you take might contains slightly higher or lower sugar concentration. Important is look out for the average value in a week or a month

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
@amgrundy clear evidence that all your hard work is starting to have positive resuts.

Don't get discouraged if you don't see another 4 point for a while. They will start to come more regularly over time, as your diet changes get established.
Thankyou :)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Don't worry too much when the reading drop a little bit low or go slightly higher. As our blood are not homogeneous with same BG level through out. The droplet of blood you take might contains slightly higher or lower sugar concentration. Important is look out for the average value in a week or a month
Thankyou :)

growmighty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The normal range is always written on the tube that contains the strips that you are using to check the sugar level so check the container to be sure that your readings are within the range. Don't panic, you are alright.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi I'm a newbie so be patient with me. I'm Cyril (Cy) I am 83 I've been a diabetic for about 14 years, ( T2 and then T1) I am now on Humulin M3. 90 units in the morning and 22 u before tea. I've just read that a reading of 4.6 is alright? if I get below 5.0 I'm having a Hypo. I've been having a few Hypos at night, can any one help.

Hi Cyril and welcome. If you feel that you are having hypo's, it's best to have a word with your gp, or diabetic nurse as your insulin may need adjusting a bit. I hope you don't mind me pointing this out but you are still type 2! If you are on insulin now, all it means is that you are insulin dependent type 2, you're not a type 1.:)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.

Consider your mind rested! Well done you, so pleased for you! :)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Can someone give me a bit of advice again please, I always eat a breakfast lunch and dinner sometimes a snack too. Yesterdays morning 5.8 7.3 and 2hrs after dinner last night 6.3.
BG reading this morning 5.7
Today had 2 poached eggs with half a lidl roll for breakfast
L only coffee [ didn't feel hungry]
D tonight at 6.30 was chicken breast with mixed veg
BG reading 2hrs after dinner 4.2. 2 questions to ask, is this 4.2 reading ok ? and I read on a post here someone said if you are below 5 you can not drive, this is confusing to me as I know the normal BG reading is between 4 and 7. Lots of people on here are below 5 do you drive or is it a myth.:confused::confused:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Can someone give me a bit of advice again please, I always eat a breakfast lunch and dinner sometimes a snack too. Yesterdays morning 5.8 7.3 and 2hrs after dinner last night 6.3.
BG reading this morning 5.7
Today had 2 poached eggs with half a lidl roll for breakfast
L only coffee [ didn't feel hungry]
D tonight at 6.30 was chicken breast with mixed veg
BG reading 2hrs after dinner 4.2. 2 questions to ask, is this 4.2 reading ok ? and I read on a post here someone said if you are below 5 you can not drive, this is confusing to me as I know the normal BG reading is between 4 and 7. Lots of people on here are below 5 do you drive or is it a myth.:confused::confused:

Provided you are still only taking Metformin and you felt fine, you're fine.

The 5 to drive is for those on heavier drugs than Metformin, like insulin. On Metformin you are fine to drive on a lower number provided you feel fine. If you feel off or rough, then don't drive, irrespective of anything else. That last bit is just common sense really.

My numbers now seem to run naturally low, and I am often down into the 3s and feel fine. I don't take any medication at all.

Just listen to your body. If you are beginning to run this low regularly, then it may be possible to reduce your medication, if that would be what you want to do.

Well done. The hard work is paying off. :)