1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bg readings all over the place

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by jason134, Jul 26, 2015.

1. jason134

jason134 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The last couple of days my bg readings have been very erratic going from an 8.2 fasting this morning to 17.1 2hrs after having a slice of toast seeded bread after lunch tuna salad 6.5 tea was not to bad at 8.2 a slice of pizza and salad yesterday's reading all in double figures no bread a very low carb day makes no sense and a little worrying

2. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

17.1 sounds like having food or something on your hands when testing..

3. 4ratbags

4ratbags Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What constitutes a low carb day for you as there may be hidden carbs in what you are consuming. Also as stated above are you washing your hands before testing, I make sure not to touch anything with the finger I'm about to pick on, not even my meter so I know that my reading is genuine.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

Toast and pizza, ya gotta be joking. Get that **** out of your diet, make a low carb plan of what you are going to eat and follow the results over a week. I am sure that you will notice that your figures will improve. Wishing you all the best.

• Like Like x 3
    #4 Pasha, Jul 27, 2015 at 4:53 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  5. Randburg

Randburg Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, @jason134
    " a very low carb", in my life would not include seeded Bread, Pizza, or any Dressings on Salads.
    Relook at what you are eating, and test again,
    All the best;)

• Like Like x 5
  6. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Ciao,

Pizza is the "godfather" of carbs.. Long after its made an "offer you can't refuse". It will send the boys round & call in the "favour" with interest on your BG levels. Capiche? ;)

• Like Like x 7
  7. jason134

jason134 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I always wash my hands before testing the slice of pizza was a one off treat I don't have dressings on my salad and the seeded toast is my weekend treat not a daily thing

8. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

So, you shouldn't really be surprised when levels raise...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

If you normally follow a very low carb diet, then bombard yourself with carbs for a day, yes, your levels will rise erratically because your body isn't expecting those extra carbs and doesn't produce enough insulin to deal with them.

• Like Like x 6
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook