Bg readings getting high

Hrw1959

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in sept 12 with type 2 diabetes. My doctor put me on gliclazide 160 twice daily. Over the course of the last 10 months this has been reduced to 40mg in the morning. However, since the gliclazide was reduced to 40mg my bg levels have steadily risen each day. My diet has not been changed. I was getting about two hypos a week and my level was roughly between 4.5 and 6. I rang my doctor and she has put me back on 80 mg per day but my levels today have risen to 15.6. I feel dreadful, very sweaty and blurred vision as well as really tired and shaky. Could this be down to the heat?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could it be down to the heat? I have heard people say that the heat buggers up their blood sugar but I have not experienced it so far. The biggest overriding factor with me is what I eat. I have had pills but they don't have much effect but if I eat the wrong thing then ...........big numbers.

Hrw1959

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Squire Fulwood said:
Could it be down to the heat? I have heard people say that the heat buggers up their blood sugar but I have not experienced it so far. The biggest overriding factor with me is what I eat. I have had pills but they don't have much effect but if I eat the wrong thing then ...........big numbers.

I have just spoken to one of the doctors at my surgery, unfortunately not the one who normally deals with my diabetes, and she says that even at 15.6 she is not worried, just have to drink more plain water. How I am expected to do this when I am disabled with no access to the kitchen and dependant on my careers visiting me during the day and leaving me my drinks. I haven't even had my main meal yet, I normally have that when my husband cooks it in the evening when he finishes work. I already have neuropathy in my foot and leg and am worried if this carries on that it might make it worse again. The doctors says to wait till next week when I have finished my steroids. I have been on steroids for longer than this and it didn't have this affect on my bg levels. Frustrated or what!! :(

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Steroids might have done it. Assuming you aren't on them permanently your BG should stabilise once you come off them. That MIGHT be contributing to your high BG levels. Also, if you're really worried ring NHS Direct. If they assess you as needing urgent attention they can refer you to an out-of-hours service. I've had pretty good experiences with NHS Direct in the past, though not everyone has.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hrw1959

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone, really appreciate your help. I have now finished the steroids and antibiotics, but there has been no change in my readings. Yesterday they went up to 15.8 and I feel very off all the time. I have tried my doctors and my diabetes nurse but no help there. If it doesn't get any better I will have to ring nhs direct. Will let you know how it goes.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App