BG up and down in very late pregnancy

Jbgreen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, I'm 35 weeks and 3 days and have had quite an easy third trimester so far (no major spike in blood sugars rather a gentle rise which I have been able to stay on top off ) but over the last few days my blood sugars have been quite sporadic with lots of lows followed by highs and not much in between. It's hard to discern a pattern - I feel a bit like I'm back in the first trimester ! Anyone else have the same experience at this point in their pregnancy ?

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I had this towards the end as well. Found myself having to reduce my basals and increase my I:C ratios. Are you sure you're not over correcting the hypos causing the spikes? I found the amount I needed to correct hypos changed as well. Hope you get this sorted...have you spoken to your team? They will want to know if you're hypoing more and having to reduce your insulin. Good luck!
X

Jbgreen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Jess - good to know it's not just me! I will try reducing my basals and increasing my bolus' and see if this helps! I've mentioned it to my doctor but he is comfortable that there is no dramatic fall off in my insulin requirements :) trying hard not to overcorrect on my hypos dos you find you needed less to correct lows toward the end?

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey. :)

I'm now 31 + 1 and have noticed the last few weeks that my bms have been on the rise , I think I've literally had to play around with background and ratios must be this third trimester part :facepalm:
I've luckily been able to catch the spikes and I'm still in target but they have been towards the higher end . Obviously I have had bms out of target .
But then also finding my self needing a small snack inbetween lunch and dinner to stop dropping there . At the moment for me it's definitely see what happens on the day to see if there is a pattern , I've also noticed the same as jess has said I'm really not needing half as much as I did earlier on to bring me up . Is so strange how it all changes all the time .
Not long to go now lol .

Hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well take care x