BG war

niknak15

Hi all,

Having a bit of a war with bg's.

My insulin takes the full 4 hours to do its thing, so if I have lunch, then test 2 hours post but have a snack, I won't be giving the correct bolous for what my bg will be 2 hours from then.

I'm thinking it will be easier to not snack but then I'll be starving with higher risk of hypo as I have an active job.

Anyone else found this?

Nikki

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi all,

Having a bit of a war with bg's.

My insulin takes the full 4 hours to do its thing, so if I have lunch, then test 2 hours post but have a snack, I won't be giving the correct bolous for what my bg will be 2 hours from then.

I'm thinking it will be easier to not snack but then I'll be starving with higher risk of hypo as I have an active job.

Anyone else found this?

Nikki
The idea of having a pump is that you set your basal correctly and your carb ratio, so that you do not need to snack. I don't hypo if I don't snack or miss meals :)

niknak15

All my basal rates are correct, as per fasting. I deviate by 2 mmol 2 hrs post and return to pre meal bg after 4, throw snacks in and that's where nothing makes sense, I'm a nurse, my day can be mega hectic one day and totally quiet the next which then throws things out, I'm on a trial currently so not got to the bit of setting up a second basal regime.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I want to snack before the 4 hours is up, I simply bolus as normal. Based on the insulin previously supplied doing its job on the previously eaten food, my pump then works out how much insulin I need for my current snack. Really have to trust the meter, pump and insulin-on-board calculation.

Obviously, the more you stack the snacks, the greater chance of error; the best way to avoid errors is to eat something with a clearly defined carb content, or snack on things that have very little or no carbs... nuts, crudités, cheese, meat, etc.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The IOB calculator on your pump should handle any correction bolus needed, if any. You probably don't need any you can just bolus for the carbs.

ClaireCissie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I want to snack before the 4 hours is up, I simply bolus as normal. Based on the insulin previously supplied doing its job on the previously eaten food, my pump then works out how much insulin I need for my current snack. Really have to trust the meter, pump and insulin-on-board calculation.

Obviously, the more you stack the snacks, the greater chance of error; the best way to avoid errors is to eat something with a clearly defined carb content, or snack on things that have very little or no carbs... nuts, crudités, cheese, meat, etc.

This really is great to know! I am very much a grazer and quite often snack not long after a meal - I didn't know an insulin pump could work this out for you. Is this a normal function for most pumps? I.e. Will my Veo do these tricks :)

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Claire - yes... your Veo will do this :) I'm using a Veo at the moment. As part of your set up you will program (with the help of the rep and/or nurses) in your carbs to insulin ratio and also your correction ratio. You also tell the pump over what time the insulin is active (mine is 4hrs for Novorapid) and the pump does the rest.