Big thanks to everyone

halfpint

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
My first a1c test was 6.2 Dec 2011, 6.2 Mar 2012 and 6.3 in Aug 2012, so I was slowly but steadily walking down the road to DB.
I am only 53kg at 5ft4, so bmi of 20 ish. For most of my life I had been thin (bmi 17 ish) never eaten much and always healthily, mainly due to a reluctant thyroid (now treated), so if I ate I would put on weight, so I ate less and exercised more etc. So, pretty much a healthy lifestyle.

But obviously things were starting to go wrong. Over the last couple of years I have suffered with excessive thirst - drinking upwards of 4 litres a day, and being totally exhausted after eating a fairly normal meal midday, often to the point where I simply had to lie down for 2-3 hours.

After the first blood test, I cut out the sugar in my tea, that did help. After the second test, I cut down on bread, spuds etc. After the third test I cut my carbs down to about 60-90 a day. Only lost a very tinniest bit of weight - about 1kg. But feel loads better. Managed to find what was giving me spikes, so have been able to reduce those.

This morning I did a OGTT - at the start 5.6, after 1 hour 8.8, after 1.5 hrs 8.1 and WOW after 2 hours 5.7 and these were done on a Codefee so the actual figures could well be even lower. So, I now feel fairly happy that the last couple of months of hard word have given my pancreas the break that it needed and think that if I continue with a moderately restricted low carb diet I should be fine - at least for the foreseeable future. May even allow the odd treat - and thank god it means that I can still eat fruit albeit in moderation.

There is no doubt in my mind, that last year the spikes that I was getting were well into the teens or even higher, as they made me feel really bad, much much worse that the moderately elevated levels of 8-10 that I have had since testing. I am sure that if I had continued without making the changes suggested on this site that I would have sooner or later (probably sooner) been diagnosed with full diabetes. So a big THANKS to ALL. :thumbup: