Bikram yoga and liver dumps

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
I think l have had my first (known liver dump)- l have started going to Bikram Yoga (amazing!!!!) and think my BS was not high enough when l went in so l assume l had a liver dump as it was nearly 8 when l cam out. Dropped to 5.3 at bed time and was up to just over 6 the next morning- so l may have had another liver dump over night! Next time will make sure l have more carbs- mmmmm fruit for me! Just want to know if its bad for you to have liver dumps? Thank you all! PS- all try Bikram Yoga its amazing and it has benefits for diabetes... all that relaxing for starters... and it defintely helped when l had rose oil rubbed into my feet whilst meditating... Mmmmm :)

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Are you sure? Doesn't sound like a liver dump to me? At least I wish mine were that gentle!

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
I have only gone to Bikram yoga twice and the 1st time my BS dropped to 4.2 and this time it was even more hot.

franimal

Hey, I did Bikram a few times last month, I didn't find it had a big effect on my levels immediately but kept them quite low throughout the day (something to do with muscle recovery perhaps?). I think I would be around 5 when starting and 4.5 after. I enjoyed it but found it a bit too intense - mainly in terms of how strict the class I went to was about interruptions and not leaving the room etc. Also they recommended doing it on an empty stomach which just isn't possible as i need to eat a bit of fruit or something to exercise. maybe it would work if you ate something slow releasing about an hour before doing the class? also some exercise just doesn't lower BG levels the way you wold expect. I find jogging has very little effect on my levels while swimming makes me drop alot. i guess like most things it can be pretty unpredictable!

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
this class is very flexible- doesnt sound to be anywhere near as stringent as yours. I will keep some stats on BS for the next few times to see how it goes- thank you!.

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
has anyone else had bikram yoga experiences- very hot!!! which is why l think my body is having a liver dump but dont know... tonight my BS went up to just over 8...just pleased with myself that didnt faint... need to remember- breathe!

smishra

:D
Yoga is great help .However Brikan yoga , asstang yoga is very hard .harder than GYM. Best is inhaling and exhaling .
I regularly go to GYM .However , my sugar control was erratic and I was not loosing my weight much (for 1and 1.5 years )
I started yoga Pranayam on 20th March and I have last 3 inch of my waist and my sugar is not erratic. I feel very good .
one can get on Baba Ramdev pranayam on You tube and also Shilpa shetty Yoga .
Additionally , bitter Gaurd juice, indian gooseberry , ginger , garlic , fenukgeek leaves , oat are great help.

TimPrevett

Hello there! My first posting... diagnosed type 2 10 days ago, but I reckon I've been diabetic for several years. I am on 2 metformin a day.

I've been doing Bikram Yoga for a week now as a direct means of beginning to lose weight and get fitter. What are others' experiences of hot yoga?

Had my first treat on Saturday afternoon for over a week. One small muffin and a hot chocolate 2 hrs before yoga, during yoga I got palpitations really bad. Had to sit out several positions over the 90 minutes. Checked my blood sugar over the session and it had gone up to 13.5. It had been between 7.5 and 9.5 for several days previously.

Curious if others have experiences of hot yoga to share, good, bad or indifferent!

Cheers!

Sunshine_Kisses

I've moved now so not near a studio, but did it last year and loved it!! Loved what it did to my figure too... Really, really trying to get my body back to that now ;-)

But I wasn't diabetic then so can't advise how it is for diabetics; also I can tolerate heat really well so I guess that was in my favour! I'd say go for a good while and see if your body gets used to it, cos if it does, your body will tone up beautifully and your skin will glow - aaaaa, I miss it!!! ;-) :)

Diagnosed Type 2, 22nd Feb 2013
Hba1c 7.5
Three month trial of managing through diet & exercise.
Low carb, pescatarian
Trying various supplements!

Sunshine_Kisses

PS, if I jog now my blood sugars can go up initially straight after, but then will come down nicely, and stay down/stable for a good 24/48 hrs afterwards - you might find the same happens with Bikram? :)

Hba1c 7.5
Low carb, pescatarian

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !

TimPrevett

Hello Sunshine_Kisses!

I monitored my blood sugar immediately before going in to class and straight after. Before it was 7.4, after 7.8 - so there was a slight rise!

Yes, my skin feels great, the next day I feel magnificent. Time and money are the main factors to be considered...

Sunshine_Kisses

Yes, it is timely, and costly, which is a shame... But dang it was worth it! A male friend of mine went after I wouldn't shut up about how good it was, and he was amazed at a) how intensive it was (he was a regular gym goer) and b) how quickly it made a difference to his physique. Apparently it's more effective for boys than girls, so lucky you! ;-)

As for your blood sugars, what do they do in the hrs afterwards? As I said, mine can go up after a run, but then usually drop down to a 6 or even 5 within a couple of hrs, and then stay there - so long as I don't have carbs; which I'm discovering is just a complete no no for me in pretty much any form!

Hba1c 7.5
Low carb, pescatarian

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !

Sunshine_Kisses

What's tosh?

Hba1c 7.5
Low carb, pescatarian

TimPrevett

Yeah, it's working well for me, Sunshine - pleased, very pleased. Still learning how various foods affect me. Except sugary sends me rocketing sky-high... :)

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
TOSH is one half of the word TOSHIBA who make televisions and stuff like that

Superchip

Dislikes
Cheap Whisky !
Flamingos may find it relaxing, but for most of us, standing on one leg isn't much of a tonic. Unless, that is, you're a follower of Bikram yoga, ...

copied from the Independent 2 days ago....

TimPrevett

...and the article concluded sympathetically: "It's certainly not for everyone, and the chances of it becoming an Olympic sport are, everyone admits, pretty slight. But maybe the flamingos are on to something."

:)