Binge eating habit at night. Can't get rid of it

Blue_Star

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been struggling for a while with this weird habit of eating a couple of biscuits at night whenever I wake up for a washroom trip. I've tried a few ways to stop it like using a food journal to log down what I eat during the day but for some reason this habit refuses to go away. It's gotten to the point where my blood sugar levels are now around 150 upon waking up in morning. I can't find a effective way to get rid of this. Any advice or suggestions?? I'm usually good with my diet and exercise and my last a1c was under 7 (6.5) but this binge eating habit is ruining my efforts and making my life miserable.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Get rid of the biscuits. A good alternative is small cubes of cheese.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry, but Chalup is right, do not have biscuits in the house. You're not likely to go to the shops in the middle of the night for them and to be honest this type of habit does not take long to break.
I had a really bad habit of eating crackers and cheese in bed while reading before sleep. It wasn't easy to break the habit and I still miss it but I'm quite fond of my feet so it was a habit worth breaking. Good luck.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could just bolus for the biscuits you eat. Why aren't you doing that?

Reactions: Diakat

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too find that my best efforts during the day can go to pot just before bedtime. Clearly my body is still trying to put the weight back on that I lost. For me it's a just before bed thing, once I make it to the bedroom I cope ( but then I am already full ! )

You do seem to have made a bit more progress than that in that you are actually making it to bed first - so congratulate yourself on that first of all. We all spend so much time beating ourselves up on the stuff we fail at.

If I were you I think I would put try actively counting in the calories from a night time fatty snack , stick it by the bed and try to stop worrying about it. Sometimes when we try so hard and fail it just makes us more upset - so change the goal posts !

I decided to do that with my evening snacks - now I just need to electrify the fridge to stop it disgorging more than 100 calorie at that time of night - that would be an amazing new APP .

D

Deleted Account

I find if I have just cleaned my teeth I can't stand the taste of any food.
So perhaps if you have another teeth clean during your toilet break, your biscuits will be less appealing.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Have you checked your levels during the washroom trip? Maybe seeing "good" numbers then will help you avoid the snack.
Or as @catapillar says just bolus!