1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bionic Pancreas - nearly here?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by ElyDave, Aug 31, 2014.

1. ElyDave

ElyDave Type 1 · Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28810813

Looks like a step further than the trials of closed loop CGM/pump combinations they've trialled at addenbrookes.

Needs a bit of miniaturisation though.

Seems a bit odd when you think about it how much technology goes into atrificial limbs of all kinds and the complex biomechanics involved, to think that the artificial pancreas is still "almost there".

• Like Like x 4
  2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

The future has never looked so promising :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. alaska

alaska · Well-Known Member

I can see the addition of glucagon being beneficial to reverse hypos quickly but is it worth it for putting in an extra cannula? A low glucose suspend feature which is available on newer Medtronic pumps achieves a similar result, although suspension of insulin probably takes longer to restore normal glucose levels than infusion of glucagon. I think I'd rather have just the one cannula and slower hypo recovery if there was a choice.

Either way, it's really good to see a number of new solutions coming forwards for a working artificial pancreas.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Seriously_Sax1989

Seriously_Sax1989 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Although this is a huge step in the right direction, I just don't think I'd want to wear it as it looks so big!

5. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

We are somehow going to have to miniaturise it, ;) but wouldn't it be wonderful if it really came through :happy:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Seriously_Sax1989

Seriously_Sax1989 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It would be awesome! Being on injections for so long what a great relief not having to inject! Although I've got used to injecting so it's just the norm... Next stop will be an actual artificial pancreas with a bit of luck!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

So, basically an insulin pump and a separate glucagon pump to counteract lows... Creating a sort of "smart insulin" regime?

This reminds me of the treatment used for kidney disease patients with dangerously high blood potasium levels used to bring it back under control...

8. smcc

smcc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sounds a good idea but will require miniaturisation++++++. I hate to think how I would manage to work out in the gym or even carry out work in the garden while wearing all that paraphernalia.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Anyone remember the 1966 Sci fi film Fantastic voyage, with Donald Pleasance and Raquel Welch ?

10. Omnipod

Omnipod Type 1 · Well-Known Member

id rather stick to MDI or my pod. I couldnt imagine all that tubing and having 2 devices attached could make your life easier! As it is, wearing a medtronic pump that was half the size was an absolute nightmare for me. Thank god for Omnipod. all i need now is the new freestyle libre where I dont have to carry out finger prick blood tests.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Jaylee

Staff Member

Yep, there's talk of a "reboot" of this film with James Cameron...?
    The 1987 film Innerspace was a similar concept...

Where are we heading with this... "Nanotechnology"??? ;)

12. Jaylee

Staff Member

I'd have to agree with you... If one of those two cannulas or tubes went AWOL? You'd end up either going hypo or DKA..
    Just risk assessing...!

13. Hooked

Hooked · Guest

Yes, but remember the first insulin pumps they were working on filled a back pack. ;)

14. AlexMBrennan

AlexMBrennan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I dunno, but I doubt that the scientists working on it are just gluing random parts together.

You face the exact sme problem with a regular pump.

15. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

There will be an interview tonight on Radio 4 with the man behind BiAP. Look for Life Scientific.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook