Birthday ideas

hornplayer

Hi guys.

This is an appeal to everyone, regardless how old you are!

My Dads 70th birthday is in December. I know it's a long way off, but he's unbelievably difficult to get things for, so I'm starting early!

My Dad is my favourite person. My best friend. He goes off to work (he's the boss so no one can make him retire!) at eight in the morning and I don't usually see him again til gone ten at night, often later. When he isn't working, he's doing things for other people. Seven days a week. He literally doesn't stop.

His interests are: working, helicopters, working, building things, working, growing things, - giving away the things he grows, mushrooms, working, beautiful old cars, fixing things, working...... If you get the picture. He's a proper craftsman. He can't stand to see a sloppy job, so he does it himself, whatever it is, while men less than half his age watch and try to figure out how he does it!

I love my Dad.

Does anyone have ANY ideas for presents, experiences, anything to make his birthday extra special??? ( we've done the flying lesson thing, - he did his first solo helicopter flights when he was 67!)

My brother and I are really stuck! Please help?!?

faeoj

you could try and combine a couple of his likes together eg a model set which would create a helicopter or something like that! even a helicopter ride over a city x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
O' boy, that's a difficult one, hornplayer.
I tell you though, I like faojo's helicopter ride over a city, an appealing idea.
Despite your dad having the ability to pilot a helicopter himself, he would be able
to relax and enjoy the views.

You'll probably be flooded with ideas from the other members.
As you know, most are very willing to help.

Admirable post incidentally.

It'll be interesting reading the posts coming your way.

Good luck. :thumbup:
willie.

hornplayer

Thanks for replying guys!

I'm not sure about a helicopter ride. Dad is very hands on. He'd really rather fly himself. We live in one of the most beautiful places in the country and its where he learned to fly. I think it would have to be somewhere away. Having him take time off would be difficult and helicopters are very much dependant on the weather, so booking one is never certain. - having said that, if we can get him a flight in something unusual, like one of the big ones..... He'd really love that! That's definitely something to look into. :)

Models, not so much. - He was looking at buying a kit from the States and building his own helicopter for a while, but the Authorities in this country won't licence them to fly over here. (Thank God!!!!!!) Anything smaller wouldn't interest him.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
A hot air balloon flight at sunset complete with champagne is a nice alternative to helicopters :D

hornplayer

Goodwood......hmm, we'd definitely have to club together for that one :):) he's done Silverstone for the Grand Prix, I think he liked it, but I think the noise made the biggest impression. - and the fact that he had to leave his beloved car in a field two miles away! Lol

He's not really into things that fly without engines Paul, and he'd rather have a coke than a glass of champagne, but thanks for the thought. - my mother would have loved it!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A simple gift but one that touched my Dad's heart was a newspaper from the day he was born, they come in a gift box and make a lovely present for special occasions:

http://www.historic-newspapers.co.uk/Ne ... -Were-Born

BTW your post moved me Hornplayer and your love for your Dad is plain to see, it's 15 years since my Dad passed away and there's not a single day goes by where I don't think of him, no better friend than your Dad that's for sure and I hope you both share many more happy years to come :)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
His beloved car seems to be a clue.
Have you got room for another classic car that needs slight attention that he can put his teeth into without to much hassle.(also a good investment which I think he will approve )
If you say what cars he has a passion for, good ideas may follow.( there are quite a few pre 1960 vehicles that are reasonably priced ) and the RAC or similar organisation will only be to happy to check things over.

Good luck

Roy. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi for my dads 80th birthday I found an ancestory chap who searched our scottish surname and made a beautiful parchment and Ibouht a frame for it and it is on his wall in the front room. Its my dads 90th birthday in 2weeks and I would like to get some WW11 memrobilila as he was in the Parachute Regiment . Your dad sounds a real trooper. Good luck.

RRB

hornplayer

All these ideas are great, thank you! More please??

Dad has an old jag V8 that he loves. - It's the car he always promised himself he'd have one day. He also has a Bentley Brooklands, again, an old one, dark red, it's in perfect condition. It only comes out a couple of times a year. He likes to use it for weddings or funerals, he always offers to drive. People come to him when friends are getting married on a shoe string and can't afford cars. He loves to help. He takes the Bentley out and one of his friends drives the Jag.

He had an ancient Jag XJS years ago which needed rebuilding. He said he didn't have time so he gave it away.

Believe it or not, Dad doesn't know much about fixing cars. He loves machines that do things.( He's a stone mason. If he needs a tool or a machine that does a job and there isn't one, he makes one. ) the most he knows about cars I think, is how to charge the battery! - he drives a van around mostly and he almost always has to charge the battery when he wants to take one of the cars out.

He loves his JCB. He loves watching programmes about Mega Machines. Does anyone know anywhere he could get to drive something like that? - there isn't anywhere around here and the only "experience days" I've been able to find so far have been race cars and such.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
He loves his JCB. He loves watching programmes about Mega Machines

Hornplayer, how about bringing your lovely dad a little closer to the ground. I know this sounds daft, have you thought about !
"Karting " facilities open to drivers aged 8-80, at Daytona MK and they have venues around the uk.

For bigger things, Google Tank driving experiences.

Roy, :)

hornplayer

I'm so glad I posted this, thank you all SO much!!

Getting loads of ideas, both for me and my brother, - birthdays and Christmas too!

Thank you thank you! - please don't stop, - I can't be the only one out there who's getting ideas here!! :) :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
not very exciting but I bought my mum a ipad recently and she loves it she is almost 70 (sept) she was very against the idea at first, she was afraid of it but loves it now

im a stonemason too hehe

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Does your dad like old aeroplanes? There are two brothers, I think, who own a Lancaster bomber from WW2 somewhere in East Anglia, sorry to be so vague, they take people for rides, not in the air, just taxi-ing along the runway. I sent an email to a friend who was a Lancaster pilot during the war to let him know he could get a ride in one again, if he wanted to that is. He emailed back that he had already been there and that the pilot of the bomber was an old flying friend! My friend has died recently, so I can't get any info from him. That's why I am a bit vague about the full details. I am sure you could find the details on google.

N

NicolaB70

Have you considered Diggerland for your dad if he likes JCB's? I know there are some scattered around the country but not sure where. You can ride/operate JCB's, diggers, etc and I'm sure they have gift days. It's great fun there and for all ages. Good luck in finding something for him.