bit fed up..

jacquiel

Son had clinic appt today and has hba1c of 14...

Aged 13, difficult child generally, does inject and give correction doses, but often doesnt do bm, and therefore doesnt necc know what he is.
Very dont care attitude to school, family, and diabetes.

Doesnt want to be helped.

I am fed up because it is hard seeing your own kids on a slippery slope and not being able to communicate with them and not being able to help them.

moan over..

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

I really felt for you when I read this.

It must be one of the hardest things to live througfh - children harlming themselves.

I have great distress over my 29 year old daughter who's currently causing her two children and myself real agony through her self-harm (not diabetes related).

My suggestion is to try to treat yourself a little. It'll probably do you both good for him not to be the main focus of your thoughts for a bit. Try to get away for a few hours and do somrthing really nice and distracting.

You are doing something really positive by showing him ways forward and offering your help and support. He is the one who has to accept he's got to change and to realise that he can do something about his situation. Does he meet many young people who share some of the problems?

Well done for posting your feelings - I hope it's helped and that you feel free to do it whenever you want.

Thinking of you,

Jane.

jacquiel

Thanks for that Jane
Sorry to hear about your daughter too.

He isnt very sociable - never has been compared to my other kids.
He has an older sister (16) with diabetes too, and has been seen by the cams team (child mental health) but wouldnt talk to them, and doesnt talk to his sister.
He is on a self destruct path, and doesnt want to help himself.
he ignores that he has diabetes as much as possible.
Before he was diagnosed he had a normal kids attitude to food - now its like he is obsessed with eating (but not overweight due to ketones all the time)

good to have somewhere like this to 'talk'

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Kids eh !
Good advice from Jane. He is a teenager and like most of them they can't be told anything - they know it all ! Both of mine were exactly the same at that age but fortunately didn't have the added complications of Diabetes.

As a parent we all want to help our children and protect them but all you can do is advise, help and guide for now. At some point he may just start to take it all seriously and do what he needs to. All you can do is be there when the time comes when he needs help, when he realises his Diabetes can be controlled in a positive way.

As Jane said, take some time out for yourself - rant and moan on here as much as you like. There is usually aomeone around to offer words of support or advice. Plenty of mum's who may have been through what you are experiencing. Never give up - I am sure it will get better.

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello again,

Glad having this space helps.

If he won't talk to diabetic sister, would meeting young diabetics outside family be a possibility?

I hope you're managing some distraction!

Best wishes,

Jane.