Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
total carbs here:)

sparkyfarm

Ok thanks due to start low carb diet tomorrow and hope to lose some weight. How many carbs should I start with as my nurse has just said to eat healthier. I am type 2 on 1000 Metaformin.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/url

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
in the uk the fiber is already deducted from the carbs therefore we get net carbs on our packets, in the us and maybe others i dunno there packets list the carbs and fiber seperate so you have to deduct the fiber to get the net carbs, depends where it was packaged, hope that make sense

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok thanks due to start low carb diet tomorrow and hope to lose some weight. How many carbs should I start with as my nurse has just said to eat healthier. I am type 2 on 1000 Metaformin.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/url
You could start of by easing down which is what I did (This way -hopefully!!- your body doesn't object too much to the changes you're making ) or you can set to and just do it! Cut out all obviously sugary stuff, and also starchy stuff like potatoes, and white flour, bread, pasta, rice, to start with. Eat plenty of green vegetables, meat, (oily) fish, poultry, eggs, and other oily/fatty things like butter, olive oil, cream and cheese. Look at Viv's modified Atkins diet for more help and information.

The best thing you can do is get a meter so you can test your glucose levels before and after meals, and this will help you to discover and avoid food that "spikes" your levels, so you can then refine your carbohydrate intake accordingly. When you get down to really low carbs (e.g. under 50 grams a day) you start to burn off your fat for energy instead of the usual carbohydrates, which really helps you shed the excess weight.

Robbity

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
@Robbity I've found it interesting that I've cut out almost 100% high density carbs but I am eating maybe 90gm to 140gm of carbs from cabbage type veggies and other leafy veggies also seeds - Chia pumpkin - my main calories come from nuts & edamame hummus. Good BG control with only 6 units 75/25 insulin a day now.

My weight stalled, and I started eating 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 Tbls of virgin coconut oil a day and weight started coming off again and fasting BG was lower.

I'm wondering what my lipid profile will look like.

Trying to figure this out is like the plot lines in a soap opera

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App