1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Sheffield University are conducting a study on food and activity logging among people with type 2 diabetes. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bitter Melon

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by kennethi, Oct 19, 2012.

1. kennethi

kennethi · Newbie

Hi, Ive heard that Bitter Melon (tablets) not fresh fruit type, beacuase its bitter, can lower blood suger levels. Could this be alturnative to Metformin?

2. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

3. kennethi

kennethi · Newbie

Thank you for that indi51. Looking at varous web sites, there is for & against this herb.

4. ))Denise((

))Denise(( Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I take it as a supplement. Works for me.

5. BioHaZarD

BioHaZarD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I take it too, I am sure it helps stabilise my BG levels.

6. Defren

Defren · Well-Known Member

I used to take them, but they did nothing for me. I swapped to Gymnema and Cinnamon - Bingo! My levels are low and steady now. Horses for courses I think, try something if it doesn't work try something else. for me, the combination of the two supplements above were what worked for me. I have eased off the cinnamon as I eat quite a bit, yet my levels are the same. So cinnamon in food or a supplement does it for me. Infact, cinnamon in food sends my levels lower. I have reached 3.5 after a couple of home made low carb cinnamon muffins.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook