1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bitter Melon

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by kennethi, Oct 19, 2012.

1. kennethi

kennethi · Newbie

Hi, Ive heard that Bitter Melon (tablets) not fresh fruit type, beacuase its bitter, can lower blood suger levels. Could this be alturnative to Metformin?

2. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

3. kennethi

kennethi · Newbie

Thank you for that indi51. Looking at varous web sites, there is for & against this herb.

4. ))Denise((

))Denise(( Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I take it as a supplement. Works for me.

5. BioHaZarD

BioHaZarD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I take it too, I am sure it helps stabilise my BG levels.

6. Defren

Defren · Well-Known Member

I used to take them, but they did nothing for me. I swapped to Gymnema and Cinnamon - Bingo! My levels are low and steady now. Horses for courses I think, try something if it doesn't work try something else. for me, the combination of the two supplements above were what worked for me. I have eased off the cinnamon as I eat quite a bit, yet my levels are the same. So cinnamon in food or a supplement does it for me. Infact, cinnamon in food sends my levels lower. I have reached 3.5 after a couple of home made low carb cinnamon muffins.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook