Bitter Melon

WaG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

A friend of mine has suggested taking bitter melon, which looks like a warty cucumber and lives up to it's name, apparently it has been used in South East Asia and China for some time to treat diabetes.

I have researched it and noted that it shouldn't be used alongside other medications, some side effects can occurr relaing to the stomach.

Has any one had/having any experiences with this?

WaG

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I live in Southall, so I can buy them (karela) fresh - needed about one every day to get a tablespoon of juice. I then tried karela tablets from the health store. Within 3 weeks a background muscle problem became painful & my BS drifted up. I've got the rest of the bottle if you want to try it free.

It may be a coincidence, but if you mispell & google "kerala diabetes", you will discover that the Indian state has a diabetes epidemic.

I regoogled & found this forum & my own comments (as Ebenezer.)

Just reduce carb - You know it makes sense. And you know what you are ingesting.

WaG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ian

Thanks for that I have and will continue with the carbs reduction along with avoiding the obvious sources of sugar. I am a bit sceptical re the bitter melon and your advice has helped.

As for the tablets I think that I will give them a miss.

Thanks again

Gary

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Gary,

I think that's a wise decision. A few years ago I tried bitter melon capsules for 6 months and they made absolutely no difference to my BS.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Dennis said:
Hi Gary,

I think that's a wise decision. A few years ago I tried bitter melon capsules for 6 months and they made absolutely no difference to my BS.
I think all these things (including cinnamon) have at best a marginal affect on BS, compared with diet changes & prescription medication. At worst they have a negative affect.