Black Friday!

hornplayer

Okay, so. Black Friday isn't that far away. I'm sure lots of us will be heading out for a night on the town or an office party. Thought it might be fun and informative for people to share any stories, hints or survival tips they may have?

I'll start. :)

- there is an infamous street in local town, full of pubs and clubs. It's absolute carnage on Black Friday. Last year, I was ill, so wasn't in a party mood. I did end up playing taxi to my brother and his friends though. As well as the usual police and paramedics, there were people giving out flip flops to girls who just couldn't cope with their high heels any longer. It reminded me of a freezing New Year's Eve in Edinburgh, seeing a girl in a little satin slip dress (it was minus 7!) and strappy high heels,run across cobble stones and brake her ankle. - She was so drunk (or numb from cold) that she didn't notice and kept trying to get up, until someone pointed out that her bone was poking out!!
- And the moral is.......wear comfy shoes!

Couple of years ago, we went out, - not to said infamous street, but to a small town about an hour and a half's train journey in the other direction. One member of the group, a large lad, 6ft 4 and not dainty, was trying to lose a bit of weight using a shake/soup diet, and was doing well. He proceeded to drink like a fish, and eat NOTHING, in case he spoiled his diet. (!!) On the way back on the train, he spent the entire trip throwing up in the toilets and we had to arrange an ambulance to meet us at the station.
-And the moral is..... If you're going to drink, probably best not to do it on an empty stomach!

This year, my brother is going to the infamous street. His wife is going out with work colleagues and will probably end up on infamous street. Me, I'm heading out with my work colleagues, in a town, an hour in the opposite direction. A T1 friend has told me in great and precise detail, how to go about using vodka to balance any blood sugar spikes. (!) Not sure about that but she swears it works........My Dad is on taxi duty. :)

hornplayer

Being as you're all such well behaved little bunnies, thought I'd add a few more myself...;)

Couple of years ago, a work colleague, who is also a good friend, went out with the boys. ( Personally, I think that that was the mistake right there. - Just look at "Lord of the Flies". We all know that women have a settling influence. ;) ) Anyway. He got really drunk, stepped off the curb, and went head first through the windscreen of a car. The paramedics said that 9/10 such accidents are fatal, but he was lucky. Shattered knee, broken ribs and collar bone. He was conscious enough to talk to his wife on the phone as they were loading him into the ambulance and ask her not to shout at him!
This year, he's fully recovered and is coming out with us. I've promised his eleven year old daughter that I'll watch out for daddy, so it looks like I'll be the sober one in the group this year. I don't mind. Been there, done that, as far as drinking is concerned. Better that everyone is safe.
And the moral is.......mixed groups are statistically safer!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hornplayer

And another one.

Little brother went out with the boys from work. They decided to try something different so went to a neighbouring town, instead of infamous street, as the foreman lived there and knew it well. I was drafted (again) to make arrangements. I booked, and prepaid taxis there and back. I booked and prepaid the meal. - what could possibly go wrong??
About midnight we get a call from the foreman's wife. Could someone please go fetch my brother as he was draped face down across her sofa and she couldn't shift him on her own. Dad, who also happens to be their boss asked where the other boys were. She said that her husband was passed out on the floor, having missed the sofa and from what sense she'd been able to get pre passing out, two were on their way to casualty, one had been arrested and three were lost.

And the moral is...(again)......mixed groups are safer! (A woman would have at least been able to ask for directions!) ;)

equipoise

Well, two other morals might be:

1. Try finding a more mature way of enjoying yourself.

2. Don't get a job in a hospital, as you will end up having to deal with all this self-induced carnage.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
Maybe you haven't had a response because too many of us are too old and don't really know anything about Black Friday. :oops:
I thought Black Friday was something to do with the US ie after Thanksgiving sales ie shopping and I'd never heard of that until a year or so ago.

I don't expect you're commemorating this !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(1910) :lol:

hornplayer

Lol, no. Actually, come to think of it, maybe the term isn't as widespread as I thought. Black Friday is the term the emergency services (- the local police seem to spend a fair bit of time drinking coffee at my house) give to the last Friday before Christmas. Traditionally when most office parties/nights out seem to happen.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hornplayer said:
Lol, no. Actually, come to think of it, maybe the term isn't as widespread as I thought. Black Friday is the term the emergency services (- the local police seem to spend a fair bit of time drinking coffee at my house) give to the last Friday before Christmas. Traditionally when most office parties/nights out seem to happen.

Too much drink and large crowds is a recipe for trouble :thumbdown:

hornplayer

Oh it seriously is!

I don't do the drinking end of Black Friday. I've played taxi and seen the carnage. Same with New Years Eve. Until I left London, I usually had a gig, so drinking was out. The last few years, coz term breaks up so close to Christmas, I'm usually way too busy. I went out with work colleagues two years ago but didn't drink. - I live further from work than the others, so where ever we go, and how ever we get there, I usually have to drive at least some of the way. Last year I was ill, so stayed home. This year we're going out, - a kind of mixed sex stag do for my boss, as he's getting married a few days after Christmas. I'll be driving - and baby sitting, and making notes on exactly what the boys get up to, so it can come back and haunt them later! Dad'll take care of little brother and co. - He banned boys night out after the last time. They have a day out at the rugby now instead. :)

hornplayer

Don't know how old you are either scapegoat. I'm 42. I guess you could say that I've been practically, if not officially tee total since my late 20's, when I started needing to drive every day.

Going out on Black Friday can be about drinking, yes, but it doesn't need to be. - There's another moral for you... You don't need to drink to have a good time. It can be way more fun to take photos! :)

hornplayer

Our Black Friday plans are getting more sedate by the minute. Now, apparently, there's bowling involved. (- see, I knew they were a bunch of light weights really! lol )

hornplayer

Have bought battery operated LED fairy lights. They don't get hot and there are no bulbs to break.

- The boss has decided that Christmas jumpers are in order. - I don't do Christmas jumpers. I don't mind SOME of the patterns, but why do they have to be such an unflattering shape? - Me and my fairy lights are going to experiment.

hornplayer

So, Black (party) Friday approaches.

Still haven't decided whether to be designated driver or get Dad to play taxi and have a few drinks. The guys are nagging at me to have a drink but, when you consider that the one nagging the hardest is the one who went head first through a car windscreen a couple of years ago - on Black Friday - you can see why I'm thinking carefully.

No you really don't have to have a drink to have fun, but by the time we get to Friday, I think I might need one. - Thirteen school concerts in the last week and another nine this week. - One of the teachers joked that she'd never met a peri ( peripatetic music teacher ) who liked Christmas. - I wonder why that could be?

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Don't let them pressure you into it! If you don't fancy having a drink, it's best not to bother :thumbup:

There's no shame in being the designated driver. SAFETY FIRST!

hornplayer

Don't worry, no one pushes me around. :)

- turns out the bowling that's been added to the night out was a gift to the music service from a parent of one of the kids we teach. How kind is that??! (There are 30 of us and we teach over four and a half thousand pupils a week. :) )

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can't wait for friday, classed as a work day but, bosses take all the staff for breakfast mid morning, then got a mini bus arranged to various pubs (aka pub crawl) till late evening by which time will be back in the town I live so can still stay out for the night if I make it lol. Then 2 weeks off yay

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
hornplayer said:
Don't worry, no one pushes me around. :)

- turns out the bowling that's been added to the night out was a gift to the music service from a parent of one of the kids we teach. How kind is that??! (There are 30 of us and we teach over four and a half thousand pupils a week. :) )

:) From VERY close personal experience I can attest to the "no one pushes me around" ;) :)
Am sure you'll all have a ball love.....or should I say bowl! ( ouch!) ;)

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Wow Brett, think I need to find a new company to work for! I might, might get off before the usual 5 on Christmas eve, but prob only cos the boss has to pick his kids up.

hornplayer

Solved the Christmas Jumper dilemma. - a black T shirt, on which I have written "Dear Santa, I can explain everything....." With a stylised angel with a wonky halo on the back. :)