Bleeding

MrsBoyle

My little boy is being so difficult with having his injections and tonight when i pulled the needle out it brought a big lump of dark blood out is that normal or have i done somthing wrong?

bigdhughes

I'm by no means a expert but i wouldnt worry as long as it has stopped bleeding. You've probably just hit a blood vessel, which may leave a bruise for a couple of days so try not to use that exact site for a little while. But he should be fine. :D

MrsBoyle

Yeah it stoped after a wipe. its just so scary when you see that you have made him bleed, doesnt help that he was screaming from as soon as he seen the needle until i put it away.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This happens from time to time, it simply means you pierced a blood vessel. I hold a tissue over the spot and apply gentle pressure until it stops bleeding which usually doesn't take long at all. I'm sorry that your son is finding the injections difficult. I was lucky that Jess never really had a problem with the injections. Perhaps other parents whose children found it difficult could make suggestions of how you might be able to make it easier for him. How old is your son?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
MrsBoyle said:
Yeah it stoped after a wipe. its just so scary when you see that you have made him bleed, doesnt help that he was screaming from as soon as he seen the needle until i put it away.

Is it the sight of the needle itself or is it that he finds it painful ?
For one thing where do you inject him ?

Secondly there is a cream available on prescription (Emla Cream) which numbs the area you want to inject. This is designed with children in mind, may be an option ?