Blister inbetween toes

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
Am quite concerned as I found a large blister between my toes. I had obviously failed to dry my toes properly but the first thng I noticed was that it was itching a lot. When I went to relieve the itch I saw the blister and have since broken it but now it won't stop weeping. What is the best thing to do now? I would appreciate any advice please.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
foxglove said:
Am quite concerned as I found a large blister between my toes. I had obviously failed to dry my toes properly but the first thng I noticed was that it was itching a lot. When I went to relieve the itch I saw the blister and have since broken it but now it won't stop weeping. What is the best thing to do now? I would appreciate any advice please.

Get yourself to the Doctors. You can't afford to play around with open foot wounds.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello foxglove.
Please 'do' get an appointment booked with your GP's ASAP...
This can so easily turn into something worse than a weeping blister!
It needs medical attention urgently.
Can you please let us know how things go with you ...
I have had a few painful toe infections needing antibiotics plus cleaning and dressing.
So am in total sympathy with yourself :)
Anna.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
My toes are very tight together, and the skin between is fragile and often cracks; these sometimes bleed. It's a persistent problem.

Do see your HCP first to discuss your blister, but here's the routine I use for my toes, some of it courtesy of the NHS Podiatrist:

I wash my toes carefully, being very gentle with the skin. Sometimes I soak them for about 10 minutes by putting the plug in while I'm showering.

I dry them with a microfibre cloth which is much thinner to push between them than a towel, and very absorbent.

I apply surgical spirit between each toe using a cotton bud (stings if the skin is broken!). This was advised by the podiatrist, and seems to be working.

I then use a little Daktarin foot powder to ensure that they are dry, between and behind. Other foot powders are available! Podiatrist would prefer me not to use powder, and certainly not scented talcum powder.

Podiatrist advises never to use any moisturiser or cream between/behind the toes. Sometimes I use tea tree oil/cream if I think it's necessary, but this is very rarely.

I have some non-stick dressings which I can cut into small pads to absorb any blood, again if necessary.

I cream my feet (but not my toes) with Flexitol Heel Balm most nights (other products are available).

This seems to be working for me. The only problem is that it's taking me longer and longer to shower, dry and dress in a morning!

Viv 8)

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks everone for your replies and help.
I phoned my surgery this morning and the doctor called me back. He said that it was more than likely athletes foot and left me a prescription for some cream to use which I have just collected and will be applying after I have had a rather belated shower... :shock:

Was very interested in your additional info Viv. I shall be following your recommendations to hopefully ensure that this wont happen again especially as I have rather impeeded feeling in that foot.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
foxglove said:
Thanks everone for your replies and help.
I phoned my surgery this morning and the doctor called me back. He said that it was more than likely athletes foot and left me a prescription for some cream to use which I have just collected and will be applying after I have had a rather belated shower... :shock:

:shock: It probably is just athlete's foot, but he really should take more attention of diabetics with sores between there toes.

Make sure that you keep and eye on it, if it doesn't show signs of healing, then make sure that you get an appointment and rub his nose in it (literally).

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
The Daktarin powder is very good for athlete's foot - I've used it for years! also on other moist creases here and there on my body that might get red and sore :wink: . It's not cheap but you don't need a lot. I prefer the ordinary powder 'cos I can see where it's gone.

Boots do one that I find okay too, but it's always the Daktarin on my toes!

Viv 8)

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
viviennem said:
The Daktarin powder is very good for athlete's foot - I've used it for years! also on other moist creases here and there on my body that might get red and sore :wink: . It's not cheap but you don't need a lot. I prefer the ordinary powder 'cos I can see where it's gone.

Viv 8)
Thanks for that Viv. Have bought some of that powder and am using it regularly.
Was interested in your point about moist creases as I have a very deep scar that goes round my hip and being rather overweight makes the "crease" very deep so I often get problems there. I will try using the powder there as well.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
foxglove said:
viviennem said:

Viv 8)
Was interested in your point about moist creases as I have a very deep scar that goes round my hip and being rather overweight makes the "crease" very deep so I often get problems there. I will try using the powder there as well.

I'm prone to red and sore strips immediately beneath my breasts, but a shake of the powder smoothed in there stops it in its tracks. I was told not to use any talc before a mammogram and was red and sore again by the time I got back home! - less than 5 hours after my shower. I also use it under my tummy fold along the pubic bone, and sometimes in my navel. Sorry if that's too much info, folks :D but us big girls sometimes have problems! :lol:

Viv 8)

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
viviennem said:
foxglove said:
viviennem said:

Viv 8)

I'm prone to red and sore strips immediately beneath my breasts, but a shake of the powder smoothed in there stops it in its tracks. I was told not to use any talc before a mammogram and was red and sore again by the time I got back home! - less than 5 hours after my shower. I also use it under my tummy fold along the pubic bone, and sometimes in my navel. Sorry if that's too much info, folks :D but us big girls sometimes have problems! :lol:

Viv 8)

Thanks Viv... never too much info. I'm not very good at reading between the lines..so to speak, and much prefer a spade to be a spade.