Blisters from walking

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I've been increasing my walking distance slowly but have found that I'm getting blisters on the ball of my foot when I walk over 5 miles. Any tips for preventing blisters?

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Good insoles, heavy socks and check those shoes for decent fit :) I assume it's both feet? 5 miles is a fair hike

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I used to get a lot of blisters from running , I eventually found anti blister socks which do the job :-0

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Yes quality shoes and socks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely check the fit of the shoes.
If you regularly get the blisters in that place it suggests your feet are not being held properly or supported properly.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others but would only add that you should ensure that whatever treatment methods you use, you should ensure the blister area is adequately healed before expecting it to hold its own with a repeat of whatever irritated it in the first place.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If I take my 8yr old out for long walking I bring a spare set of fresh clean socks. Sweat rubs and can cause the problem.
I buy walking socks BRIDGEDALE for my diabetic feet. Not advertising but are excellent socks and they last.

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bridgedale socks are wonderful so second that.

I always wear a thin pair of socks under my walking socks (Bridgedale do them but I have discovered that any thin sock works well) and now never suffer from blisters.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ensure shoes fit snugly and lacing stops the balls of your feet slipping around.

S

Sean01

Hi all, I've been increasing my walking distance slowly but have found that I'm getting blisters on the ball of my foot when I walk over 5 miles. Any tips for preventing blisters?
I have had the same problem in the past - I have walked the Loch Ness marathon so my long weekly walk as part of my training was up to 20 miles and my normal daily session as at least 10 k on a treadmill - often twice a day. Blisters - I've been there - Tips:
Correct fitting shoes
Retie the laces after the first 10 minutes - the shoes will 'give a little' when they warm up.
Good socks - see Running World for advice
Vaseline - I got through tons of it - around the balls of the feet, between my toes - everywhere - it feels gross at first but you soon get used to it.
Keep an eye on the wear and tear of your shoes - Again, Running World gives advice on how many miles a pair of trainers should last - it's in the 'hundreds of miles' but as you can see - doing consistent daily walks can soon wear them out.
Look out for shoe sales!
Good luck - 5 miles is a fair old trek - don't stop what you're doing
Sean (T2 Oct 15 diet, metformin and exercise - treadmill and exercise bike 5 days a week plus 3-4 gym sessions where the warm is is 20 mins on a treadmill. (Loch Ness 2012 - last man home 7hrs 24 - you can check the stats on their web site! - Loved every minute of it - especially the last one.)

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Blacks are doing 2 pairs of bridgedale socks for £20. :)

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also do a lot of walking and I was advised by my Podiatrist to put Surgical Spirit on areas which are prone to blister the night before.

chrissargent

Realise this thread is quite old now, but I have just signed up to do a walking marathon in July. Totally unfit and overweight so it's going to be a real challenge for me but one I'm determined to do.
So looking for any advice please.....

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just back from diabetic yearly foot and eye check and she said its normal not to feel blisters forming (unless on heel). She checked my blood flow and it's good.
Keep well fitted trainers bedded in well before your long walking training sessions and especially the walking day. Wear new trainers with thick socks in the house til bedded in. Good socks can make all the difference and remember it isn't sock which cause shaffing but the salt from sweating rubbing on your skin so changing socks regularly can prevent that.
Well done and keep us posted.

Jo123

@chrissargent wow that sounds exciting, and a really good opportunity to improve your fitness levels.
Now is the time to start, firstly get some comfortable footwear, I wear good trainers if it's not raining or too muddy and walking boots if it is.
Then download mapmyrun or similar on your phone and get walking. The mapmyrun
shows how far you go so you can increase your distance gradually.

Get replacement insoles for your shoes. It's cheaper than buying new shoes. If you're not used to walking a lot it will take some time for your feet to get calusses and toughen up.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Bridgedale socks are great but sometimes Aldi do an excellent equivalent at £4 per pair. Just as good and durable. Compeed blister plaster at the first hint of a blister forming. Agree with thin pair of socks inside thick pair in cold weather and changing socks in hot weather. I regularly walk 5 -9 miles and manage to avoid blisters.

Reactions: lindijanice