1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Blood Glucose 4-5 hours postprandial

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by finsit, Oct 25, 2021.

1. finsit

finsit Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have just enrolled myself in a degree level diploma for nutrition therapy so i am interested to see how people react to diets. So what is your average BG and a1c now based on CGM (when you used to wear it) or recent labs? I understand from Dr. Bernstein that BG affect on all mortality is again a U shaped and the best is around 83 mg/dl, below this or above this both are not good if prolonged. I am mostly in 5s and after food in 6s for couple of hours. I have added more carbs after the initial very strict 20-30 gms/day till i got my fasting insulin at 3 which means i didnt have insulin resistance anymore.

From my personal experience and a study i read in the past that once you have normal blood glucose and no hyperinsulinemia, the fats around liver are melted, your beta cells start producing insulin more efficiently. I guess this might be the case with you and me and several others. I can have 20-30 gms in one meal now and can not reach 7 as opposed to 3 months ago where half of this amount will take me to 7.

EDIT: im talking of low GI carbs here including dates and underground vegetables. A small amount of rice will still send me over 8.

2. Dandelade

Dandelade · Well-Known Member

That is interesting - would love to hear what you learn related to diet and blood sugar. The cgm predicted 5.5 and my last hba1c was 44 but will have caught the 4 weeks of the eatwell plate before I started.

I’ve been too timid to start testing how many carbs I can handle in one meal until I lose another stone and a half and the morning insulin resistance is gone. I don’t quite trust myself yet but ok with the nothing but veg carb rule! The cgm gave me the confidence to stop testing and I’m just keeping on doing my thing now, intending on testing with another libre every half a stone though.

3. finsit

Great. I have already applied for a free trial and will see how it goes when i start using it. Need to do lot of experiments :) Based on the CGM data you shared, your a1c should have been much lower than the one you mentioned? Or i have not interpreted the graph well. You said you are mainly in 3s and 4s? That should put you under a1c of 30 ?

4. Dandelade

Dandelade · Well-Known Member

Maybe you mixed me up with another reply? I’m in the 5s mainly now. The hba1c was annoyingly 8 weeks after my first hba1c so if it measures the last 12 weeks will have caught the first month where it wasn’t controlled as well. Fingers crossed anyway, I’m 3 months in and going from the cgm!

5. finsit

Sorry i mixed you with @LaoDan because your reply came just after my reply to his post. I will wait for his reply anyway.

6. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My last a1c was 5.1% , I think that’s around 32. But yeah, I’m trying to knock off another 10kg, so I’m in a calorie deficit, low carb and exercising like crazy. So I wouldn’t be surprised if my a1c is lower now. Probably not sustainable, but I’d be happy if I can maintain in non diabetic range

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook