Blood Glucose level recommendations

Donkeymad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for what may be a silly question, but what levels are currently recommended for Blood Glucose levels?

I have always understood that they should ideally be maintained between 4mml and 7mml. However, at my last Checkup I was told I had suffered 16 hypos, because my levels had fallen below 7mml, and I was told they should be maintained between 7mml and 12mml. I am not sure if there may have been a specific reason I was given this level, but none was offered, despite my querying it.. I know when my levels are getting low when they reach around 4mml.

Does anybody have any advice, my Driving Licence was threatened. I feel ill when my levels reach 10mml, and I worry about side effects, having been type 1 for 48 years now.

Thank you for reading and any replies.

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Between 4 and 7 like you said is correct.
Between 7 and 12 is absurd.
Below 4 is a hypo like you've said
You're right.
Also it's '5 to drive' but you're completely correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So its not because you've lost or have reduced hypo awareness symptoms?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi donkeymad
you are having a worrying time right now.

4-7 pre meal is recommended
and 4-10 post meal

the driving licence is a worry for all of us so don't get fobbed off in your enquiries.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Different consultants take different views on Hypos. When you say you had suffered 16 Hypos, does that mean 16 below 4 or 16 requiring assistance?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hypo's are classified as being under 4.0. Not 7.0.

If I had a consultant telling me that under 7.0 was hypo I would be reporting the consultant to the GMC as being clueless and endangering life...
You are correct that you need to maintain your levels at between 4 and 7.7 with minimal swings..

Are you having large swings in levels? This may be why the consultant is suggesting you stay above 7.0. Ie if you were swinging say from 6.0 to 11.0 and then dropping to say 4.0 then that drop from 11.0 to 4.0 would be in hypo land uf your levels had been say 6.0 and 6.0.... I wonder if your consultant is suggesting you keep high because of swings in levels.... Which really the consultant should be tackling with you if this is happening.....

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think that if your licence has been threatened that you have had an incident possibly or some hypo awareness diminishing.. More than likely your consultant is wanting you to maintain higher levels to try and get hypo awareness back.

Is this your nirmal consultant or a new person?

iHs

I think a good bg level to be before eating is 6mmol and then allow a rise up to 8.5mmol 2.5hrs later. This should ensure that bg lowers safely according to the 4hr acting time. This is what I try to do but hdy ho, the bodys need for insulin can change so you hzve to make the mistakes and learn afterwards.