1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Blood Glucose level recommendations

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Donkeymad, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Donkeymad

Donkeymad Type 1 · Active Member

Sorry for what may be a silly question, but what levels are currently recommended for Blood Glucose levels?

I have always understood that they should ideally be maintained between 4mml and 7mml. However, at my last Checkup I was told I had suffered 16 hypos, because my levels had fallen below 7mml, and I was told they should be maintained between 7mml and 12mml. I am not sure if there may have been a specific reason I was given this level, but none was offered, despite my querying it.. I know when my levels are getting low when they reach around 4mml.

Does anybody have any advice, my Driving Licence was threatened. I feel ill when my levels reach 10mml, and I worry about side effects, having been type 1 for 48 years now.

Thank you for reading and any replies.

2. Emily95

Emily95 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Between 4 and 7 like you said is correct.
    Between 7 and 12 is absurd.
    Below 4 is a hypo like you've said
    You're right.
    Also it's '5 to drive' but you're completely correct.

• Like Like x 2
    #2 Emily95, Apr 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015
  3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

So its not because you've lost or have reduced hypo awareness symptoms?

4. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

hi donkeymad
    you are having a worrying time right now.

4-7 pre meal is recommended
    and 4-10 post meal

the driving licence is a worry for all of us so don't get fobbed off in your enquiries.

5. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Different consultants take different views on Hypos. When you say you had suffered 16 Hypos, does that mean 16 below 4 or 16 requiring assistance?

6. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Hypo's are classified as being under 4.0. Not 7.0.

If I had a consultant telling me that under 7.0 was hypo I would be reporting the consultant to the GMC as being clueless and endangering life...
    You are correct that you need to maintain your levels at between 4 and 7.7 with minimal swings..

Are you having large swings in levels? This may be why the consultant is suggesting you stay above 7.0. Ie if you were swinging say from 6.0 to 11.0 and then dropping to say 4.0 then that drop from 11.0 to 4.0 would be in hypo land uf your levels had been say 6.0 and 6.0.... I wonder if your consultant is suggesting you keep high because of swings in levels.... Which really the consultant should be tackling with you if this is happening.....

• Like Like x 4
  7. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

I think that if your licence has been threatened that you have had an incident possibly or some hypo awareness diminishing.. More than likely your consultant is wanting you to maintain higher levels to try and get hypo awareness back.

Is this your nirmal consultant or a new person?

8. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

I think a good bg level to be before eating is 6mmol and then allow a rise up to 8.5mmol 2.5hrs later. This should ensure that bg lowers safely according to the 4hr acting time. This is what I try to do but hdy ho, the bodys need for insulin can change so you hzve to make the mistakes and learn afterwards.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook