blood glucose levels first thing in the morning

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone explain to me why, my bg levels at 7.3 mmols most mornings, when I have been fasting since 9pm,even then I have been on Cambridge diet x3 shakes and 1 low carb meal a day. during the day the bgs are between 5.3/6.3 mmols

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
I had the same too, so when would be the best time to test for the first time during the day, fasting or non fasting.thanks Q

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Dazza1984

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Best thing to do is avoid fasting. This can be equally as bad for a diabetic as eating certain things (due to what the liver gets up to). Although I am still in the honeymoon period I find a small snack prior to bed if my BG is 6 or below keeps me sound til the morning and will wake up ~5.
Also, what occurs o/n also depends on what your dinner was composed of and how much insulin you took with it. Experiment a little and see how it goes.
D

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, be careful with readings following fasting as they can be affected by liver dumps. The liver will release glycogen if it thinks that blood sugar is going too low. Best times for testing are before and 2 hours after a meal as these show the effects of food.