Blood Glucose Monitoring and Type 2

oopsupside

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sand
I'm recently diagnosed T2 and would really like to check my BG when I want to. Should I just buy a testing kit? If so recommendations please!

Thanks David

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, you need a blood glucose meter.

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2+ because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk. (applied at the check out stage)
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2+ is here
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Other meters are available. All you need to be aware of is the cost of the test strips, which can range from about £8 to £30 for 50.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes you should buy a meter.

Without it you cannot see what each meal does to your bloods (and other things like exercise or illness). Once you have this information then you can adjust what you eat, and do, to control the levels. @Bluetit1802 has info about good value meters if cost is the main consideration.

The basic tests would be before and 2 hrs after each meal, looking for a rise of no more than 2mmol and hopefully going no higher than 7.8mmol.

You can also choose to test at 1hr to see how high the spike does go (everyone’s will rise but diabetics fail to drop again hence the 2hr bit) or 3hrs to see if the levels return to normal if they haven’t yet or if the rise has been delayed as some grains or meals with fat are for some people

Edit: beat me to it @Bluetit1802

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I use the TEE2+ meter as the test strips are cheaper than most at £7.75 for 50. It seems to be reasonably accurate.
The TEE2+ meter costs £9.99 online, but if you ring Spirit Healthcare they might send you a free meter.
Their tel no is 0116 286 5000.

Reactions: oopsupside
D

Deleted member 308541

Yes to testing.

I use and recommend a Abbott Freestyle Lite meter which was a freebie from Abbott including the software and usb cable for it. It comes with a Fastclix lancing device for the readily available six lancet cartridges.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes definitely!! A meter's an essential tool, particularly if you want to use diet to help manage your diabetes. And whichever meter you choose, I'd also recommend the Fastclix as your lancing device.

(And don't be deterred by of the really daft reasons given for T2s NOT to test...:banghead:)

Robbity

Reactions: oopsupside

oopsupside

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sand
Yes to testing.

I use and recommend a Abbott Freestyle Lite meter which was a freebie from Abbott including the software and usb cable for it. It comes with a Fastclix lancing device for the readily available six lancet cartridges.

This interests me as I am very much into newer technology.... D

oopsupside

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sand
Thank you all so much. I’m an Amazon shopper. Any tips on a decent meter etc from there? I’m into anything that is “smart”. Anything new is good for me. Thank you

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The tee 2 from spirit health is the one I bought recently - you register, get an email confirming, then go back and order - the meter and 150 strips plus lancets came to under £40 without the VAT. At that price it means you can test whenever - easy to get a handle on the foods you can and can't eat.