Blood Glucose Monitoring

BigAl57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hip hop
hi I have just measured my levels before a meal and it was 6.9 is this good bad indifferent

it's the first time I have done this

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be lower although it is not a disaster. Aim to not be higher than 8.5 two hours after a meal. 6.9 before a meal makes this harder.

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The lower the better but as stated above its not a disaster. The more you are able to test the better picture you will be able to get on how your BS is behaving. I keep a food diary so I can correlate my BS readings with what I have eaten.

Reactions: 2 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
If you have only recently started self-monitoring your blood glucose levels then 6.9 is about what I would expect and probably better than I would expect if you are still following the standard NHS diet advice but as 4ratbags said you could do better, The key is using your meter to find how your body reacts to certain foods and feeding the data you collect back into what you eat. For me Low Carb Higher Fats (especially good oils) really worked but even folllowing it I don't expect complete control, my own readings have spent the better part of last week drifting much higher than the 4.2 to 5.6 pre-meal numbers I was getting over the previous 3 weeks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
These are the recommended guidelines from NICE (used by the NHS)

Non-diabetics
Fasting/before meals 4 to 5.9
2 hours after meals under 7.8

Type 2 diabetics
fasting/before meals 4 to 7
2 hours after eating under 8.5

However, many experts agree these figures are too generous. The lower the better. Have a read of this
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php