blood ketone meter?

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hello!

can you suggest me please a ketone meter?

I bought a Freestyle Optimum Neo and it's horrible. Plus I bought a Freestyle Optimum β-ketone strips and they always show 0.1mmol/L

I don't understand, arent these strips compatible? They say Freestle Optimum on the box! Is the meter defective? Plus strips are hugely expensive.

Is there any alternative?

thanks!

reidpj

Hi

I use the On-Call machine and strips. I buy them on eBay. Cheaper than other brands (still not cheap).

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've always found the Freestyle to be reliable, though I've also found that getting into ketosis is not as easy as I thought it would be.

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does the Neo have special ketone strips or they are one type only?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The ketone strips are different to the blood glucose.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's an interesting (long) interview with ketone researcher, Dr Dominic D'Agostino and at around 1:05:39 he starts talking about a study they're getting ready to publish that shows the BG lowering effects of exogenous ketones - he said they lower BG much more than metformin. Hmnnnnn, I might have to try ordering some from the US. He also thinks they will speed up keto-adaptation.

P.S. I'm not talking about products like "raspberry ketones" that are not ketones at all. I'm talking about products that have recently come on the market like Kegenix, etc. (that use esterified ketones as developed by Dr D'Agostino's lab)

Last edited by a moderator: