1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

blood ketone meter?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by greener, Mar 10, 2016.

1. greener

greener Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

hello!

can you suggest me please a ketone meter?

I bought a Freestyle Optimum Neo and it's horrible. Plus I bought a Freestyle Optimum β-ketone strips and they always show 0.1mmol/L

I don't understand, arent these strips compatible? They say Freestle Optimum on the box! Is the meter defective? Plus strips are hugely expensive.

Is there any alternative?

thanks!

2. reidpj

reidpj · Well-Known Member

Hi

I use the On-Call machine and strips. I buy them on eBay. Cheaper than other brands (still not cheap).

3. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

I've always found the Freestyle to be reliable, though I've also found that getting into ketosis is not as easy as I thought it would be.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. greener

greener Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Does the Neo have special ketone strips or they are one type only?

5. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

The ketone strips are different to the blood glucose.

6. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Here's an interesting (long) interview with ketone researcher, Dr Dominic D'Agostino and at around 1:05:39 he starts talking about a study they're getting ready to publish that shows the BG lowering effects of exogenous ketones - he said they lower BG much more than metformin. Hmnnnnn, I might have to try ordering some from the US. He also thinks they will speed up keto-adaptation.

P.S. I'm not talking about products like "raspberry ketones" that are not ketones at all. I'm talking about products that have recently come on the market like Kegenix, etc. (that use esterified ketones as developed by Dr D'Agostino's lab)

#6 Indy51, Mar 12, 2016 at 4:09 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2016
  7. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook