blood monitor

jimmy567

hi
i am new to this so here goes !!! i have been told by the diabetic nurse that i dont need a blood test monitor surley this cant be the case as i need to know what foods spike my sugar levels ??? her answer was its not the monitor its the strips that are expensive ??mmmmm sound like a cost cutting answer to me could anyone advise if i am entitled to this

many thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You won't get one unless you are on medication capable of giving you a hypo and even then they will most likely ration the strips. Many of us think that they are an essential item so if the NHS will not provide we buy our own.

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
Jimmy like squire said, you will probably have to buy one, but make sure you do, because it will be your best friend, especially when starting out. It's so frustrating hearing the NHS saying we are in a type 2 diabetic epidemic, and our best line of defence is our meters, and they refuse to acknowledge this :x :x

Sloan973

Am I the only type 2 in the country who gets prescribed strips without a problem? My doctor did moan a little bit about it, so I asked what was the point in free prescriptions for a diabetic if I was forced to buy my own strips, which she realised I would do. I also reminded her of the extra money the surgery gets for me as a diabetic. I am sure I will be challenged again in the future, but I will stand my ground. Good luck e eryone.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have strips on my repeat prescription, but I only order 3 boxes of 50 a year and buy the rest myself. My GP has mentioned them, but not restricted them. I wouldn't order any more than this.

munchykins78

My GP refused me a monitor and strips. He says that i don't need to test. I purchased my own and use the Accu-chek Mobile :thumbup: . It's fab but the test cassettes are about the same price as the testing strips for other machines. It is much better than the one i was given when i had gestational diabetes (they took the monitor away as soon as my son was born).